Help I Colored My Candy Melts And It Tastes Bad

Sugar Work By kellycat102938 Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 3:13am by stephaniescakenj

kellycat102938 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:43am
post #1 of 5

Hello fellow CCrs . I purchased candy melts and they tasted great, I made a dark red and a black using wilton candy colors. YUK!!! It really tastes bad. I am coloring in a picture that is about 8x8 which is mostly red and black. Is this normal? What are you supposed to do to make it taste good. I obviously overlooked something!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

THANKS in advance

4 replies
m1m Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:53am
post #2 of 5

It's probably the Wilton. I made a chocolate LSU plaque for my brother and I had to add a lot of purple. It tasted awful.

Maybe someone can recommend a better candy color.

Or you could buy the candy already colored. I've bought the red and it tastes really good; I'm not sure if they have black.

jamiekwebb Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 5

Use no taste red and I would start the black with choclate melts that way you don't have to use so much black color..... They will still probably taste a little off but that is all that I know to do... HTH

kellycat102938 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 5

I should have mentioned. I started off with red candy melts for the red, but I found that the red looks kinda pink. I also started with a dark brown chocolate candy melt for the black. I am hoping someone has a better candy color than what I am using.

stephaniescakenj Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:13am
post #5 of 5

I use chefmaster candy colors and I don't find they affect the taste at all. I don't personally like wilton chocolates, I prefer the merckens. you might have better luck switching chocolates

Quote by @%username% on %date%