Applying Satin Ribbon- How Do I Do It?

Decorating By yummycupcakes Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 3:26pm by LadyBugMom

yummycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummycupcakes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 9

Can anyone give me some instructions on how to apply satin ribbon on a cake? I've done a search on CC but haven't found any results, I googled it and i'm still confused. I read about ironing wax paper on one side of it so there it doesn't absorb grease (for buttercream cakes). What about on fondant. What do you do about the ends? How do you seal it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

8 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:31am
post #2 of 9

I've never done it but I know there was a thread about it somewhere in the last 3 or 4 months. I know someone will pipe up with the answer so here's a bump

yummycupcakes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you for the bump enoid icon_smile.gif I hope someone saved that topic and shares it with me. For some reason the search didn't pull up anything from the forum topics, but a whole bunch from the recipes and the gallery. I really don't want to go through all the pages on the "how to" section, but I think i'll at least look through the first 10 in the hopes of finding it.

LadyBugMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyBugMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 9

Are you talking about actual Satin ribbon or fondant ribbon. Just wondering? Are you talking about around the base of a cake or what.
If your talking ribbon and around the base of a cake, I just pin mine with pearl pins. I'm sure your talking more complicated than that. Here's another bump anyway.

LadyBugMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 9

Are you talking about actual Satin ribbon or fondant ribbon. Just wondering? Are you talking about around the base of a cake or what.
If your talking ribbon and around the base of a cake, I just pin mine with pearl pins. I'm sure your talking more complicated than that. Here's another bump anyway.

LadyBugMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 9

pood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pood Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Yummycakes,
I have applied satin ribbon to several cakes. My most recent one was yesterday. I just put a dab of buttercream on the end of the ribbon and press against the cake. Hold it securely and wrap around the cake and put a dab of buttercream and press against the other end. I sometimes put a straight pin through the ribbon into the cake to hold it securely in place. I then remove the pin once it is set. I would think that with fondant you could use a dab of royal icing to attach it. I have several cakes in my gallery with ribbon attached. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Linda

yummycupcakes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you for the tip LadyBugMom. Yes, the actual satin ribbon on the base of the cake was what I was wanting to know. I don't know why I was expecting it to be more complicated, but that does sound easy enough. Thanks again!

LadyBugMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks yummycupcakes, I'm glad I could finally help someone YEAH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%