Never Again 3D Cakes!

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm by msulli10

pebblez87 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 8

i did a 3d baseball and bat for one i used a cake mix ive never used before and i used the wilton sports ball pan and oh my gosh ive never had such bad luck my cake after an hour was still goo and the inside and it collapsed so i only kept 1 of my domes made just a plain 8 inch round cake and it fit well, so after all these complaints i guess my question is how have any of you accoplished a 3d cake do u just sculpt your own or did i have crappy luck with my pans/ cake batter? enclosing a pic to show my half disaster

7 replies
stephaniescakenj Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:40am
post #2 of 8

I've used the sports ball pan a couple times, never had trouble. I think it might be the cake mix or maybe your oven temp.

kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:46am
post #3 of 8

I agree w/stephanie. Those types of pans take much longer to bake you might not have let it completely finish baking &/or your oven may not be working accurately
.....however......nice save! The ball looks really good.

msulli10 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:53am
post #4 of 8

Don't beat yourself up - you did a great job. Maybe next time you can
try using the WASC recipe (check the recipe section). It will give you a firmer cake. Try baking it at a lower temperature - 300 for the first 20 minutes or so, and then 325 for the rest. It will probably take a long time to bake - don't get nervous. Once your cake is cooled, try freezing it. It is so much easier to carve frozen.

kathy164 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:58am
post #5 of 8

Looks like you saved the cake very well!! Good job. May I ask, I am not familiar with these pans. are these baked as one piece? I was thinking maybe make layers and stack them and then cut them down might work better? I dont think I could bake a thicker cake like that and have it get done. I am a cutter, I like to sculpt them how I like em' LOL. Is this a pan from wilton? are there cores to go in them? Bless your heart, I still think you did a very good job and hope someone can help you more.

tonimarie Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:05am
post #6 of 8

I have used the wilton ball pan with pretty good success. Because the cake ends up being so deep, I think it's very important to cook it at 325 degrees. Couldn't even give you a guestimate on time, just keep checking in the middle to see if it springs back. I agree the WASC recipe is so awesome. Good luck and give it a try again just for practice, because I think the ball pan is much easier than trying to carve a nice round ball shape icon_rolleyes.gif

beck30 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 8

I think the cake looks good! I have the bear pan and I have only got it to work once. I was wondering why the WASC recipe? Is it more dence?

msulli10 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 8

I think the WASC is a bit more dense. It carves great when frozen, but I guess any cake would carve better frozen. WASC just tastes great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%