My First Fondant Cake... How Do I.....

Decorating By ShelliBean Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 12:13am by GayeG

ShelliBean Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 6

This is my first fondant cake and I am trying to make a "gift box" style fondant cake. Should I wait till the day of my function to do the cake in fondant? Or can I do it tonight (party is tomorrow)?? If I can do it tonight, then do i keep it covered? or out? I know i have to let the "bow" dry out in order to keep its form... i am so very new to this so any tips or tricks of the trade would be awesome!!! icon_smile.gif Also, should I use gum paste to make the bow? or will fondant work just as well? Shelli

5 replies
wildflower Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 6

hii
i dont have too much experience with this but im pretty sure ive read on the forums that gumpaste is better[again not really sure!!!] to make the bows,or even fondant/gumpaste 50/50
i think it was something to do with being able to roll it out thinner and drying quicker but again m not too sure
as for covering the cake i dont see why u cant cover it today,i think if anything youd be better off covering today to let everything settle and have more time to fix something in case it went wrong
honestly i am no expert but the one time i did cover a cake with fondant,i did it ahead of time and for my bow i used fondant with tylose mixed in[it was for my wilton class]
also,spread a little piping gel or a little water over ur buttercream so that the fondant can adhere better
thats all i can remeber for now,sorrry!
anyway hope u get more replies soon
good luck!

shelly-101 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 6

you can cover the cake with fondant today and it will be fine it will seem a little hard on the outside by tomorrow but it stays soft on the inside. you can just leave your cake on the counter tonight you do not need to cover it with anything it does not need to go into the refrigerator i never put my fondant cakes in the fridge because it makes the fondant sweat and get sticky. I use fondant mixed with gumtex for my bows you can make them out of gumpaste as well but i prefer fondant. Hope this helps and good luck. I have a gift box cake in my pics if you want to look at it.

shelly icon_biggrin.gif

MyDiwa Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 6

You can definitely cover the cake in fondant ahead of time, and you don't need to cover it up. Just don't put it in the fridge once you've covered it.

ShelliBean Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 6

WOW you have some really wonderful cakes! Thanks for all the advice!! Shelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly101

you can cover the cake with fondant today and it will be fine it will seem a little hard on the outside by tomorrow but it stays soft on the inside. you can just leave your cake on the counter tonight you do not need to cover it with anything it does not need to go into the refrigerator i never put my fondant cakes in the fridge because it makes the fondant sweat and get sticky. I use fondant mixed with gumtex for my bows you can make them out of gumpaste as well but i prefer fondant. Hope this helps and good luck. I have a gift box cake in my pics if you want to look at it.

shelly icon_biggrin.gif

GayeG Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:13am
post #6 of 6

Greeting from J-ville Shelli icon_smile.gif Good luck with that cake! Let us know how it works out for ya!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%