Shop Owners, Selling Daily Goodies

Business By melodyscakes Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 4:07am by SweetSweetCreations

melodyscakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 13

I own a bakery. I sell wedding cakes and birthday cakes and if customers call me, I will make them brownies, cupcakes, cookies, or pies.
I do offer a few cookies for sale for walk-ins but I don't have many walk ins so, its more of a pain in the rear to keep cookies.
I've been thinking, and I want to do more daily sales. I've got a big sign made, and it is out of chalk board material so I can right things in chalk.
I thought I would attach balloons to make it more noticeable.
what do you all sell on a daily bases? since walk-ins are slow, I can't offer too much because it would waste and cost too much money....yet if I don't offer enough, people won't run in to grab a snack.
my shop is off a main street, yet a bit off the beaten path.
any help would be appreciated!

melody

12 replies
jjandascog Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 13

I make them myself now because of my daughter's allergies but my favorite thing from my hometown bakery was seasonal spritz cookies flavored with strawberry, rasberry, orange, etc. and then dipped in chocolate. Only the back is coated in chocolate... They are soooo good and cheap and easy. I take them to parties all the time and they are always a hit!

OhMyGanache Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 13

Cupcakes are hot right now. Make things that keep for long periods... home-made marshmallows (dipped in chocolate, or covered in toasted coconut, etc.), chocolate dipped pretzels, biscotti, etc. so your case will be full all the time without you baking lots, and without as much waste.

melodyscakes Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 13

thank you ladies!!!!
I am going to do cupcakes.
how long do they last? a couple of days....one day?
thank you

melody

OhMyGanache Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:41am
post #5 of 13

In a refrigerated case, I wouldn't keep them longer than 5 days. Personally, I think 3 is the most I would keep them - but many bakeries keep them for 5-7 days.

leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:59am
post #6 of 13

Why would cupcakes need to be refrigerated? The filling? Refrigeration makes cake dry out faster.

jjandascog Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #7 of 13

The spritz cookies last for at least a week. I make a ton for my family every Christmas and leave them out all day for everyone to nibble on and then cover them with foil every night.

OhMyGanache Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:10am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Why would cupcakes need to be refrigerated? The filling? Refrigeration makes cake dry out faster.

Not saying they need to be - depends on the filling and/or icing. Certain icings (cream cheese, IMBC, etc.) do need to be refrigerated. However, it is pretty much standard practice that cupcakes get refrigerated - which is why I gave MY limit for refrigerated cupcakes.

Frankly, while cupcakes covered in ABC don't necessarily NEED to be refrigerated, the longer they sit at room temp the grosser the icing gets. You can pull an ABC iced cupcake out of refrigeration and as soon as it comes to room temp, it's the same as when it was just iced.

Obviously, I speak from my own experience and state my own opinion. It's all I've got to go on.
thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:20am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

Frankly, while cupcakes covered in ABC don't necessarily NEED to be refrigerated, the longer they sit at room temp the grosser the icing gets. You can pull an ABC iced cupcake out of refrigeration and as soon

This may be a personal taste thing, too. Because I never refrigerate my BC icing ... on or off of a cake .... and no one has ever called it 'gross'. icon_wink.gif

OhMyGanache Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:23am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

Frankly, while cupcakes covered in ABC don't necessarily NEED to be refrigerated, the longer they sit at room temp the grosser the icing gets. You can pull an ABC iced cupcake out of refrigeration and as soon

This may be a personal taste thing, too. Because I never refrigerate my BC icing ... on or off of a cake .... and no one has ever called it 'gross'. icon_wink.gif

Crusting buttercream "crusts"... and the longer it sits out, the harder it gets. I think it's gross. But like you said - perhaps that's a "personal taste" thing.

KoryAK Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:09am
post #11 of 13

I have a similar situation here with my shop.... we carry 5 types of cookies, 4 croissants, 2 brownies, 3 mini cheesecakes, eclairs, petit fours, coffee cake, and 2 cakes. Cookies are mixed, scooped, fridged, and baked as needed. Coffee cake is baked twice a week and is plenty fresh that long (made 5 at a time and frozen then baked off later). Everything else is made and stored in the freezer until needed (size your batches so you are using them up in an appropriate amount of time. They key is things with a long shelf life of things that can be frozen, baked later, whatever. I still have some waste but not a ton (and we sell the day old cookies cheaper and 5 at a time or give them away 6-8am with coffee purchase) and it keeps me and my girls freer to make cakes. I still feel like I need more in the case, tho.

patticakesnc Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:27am
post #12 of 13

The bakery here keeps cake slices, donuts, cookies, various pastries (turnovers etc), and brownies.

I would love to see Baklava (I love making it and eating it!), biscotti, and almond horns locally.

SweetSweetCreations Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:07am
post #13 of 13

Ok so this is more of a marketing tip than a baking tip, when I was managing a catering company that offered baked goods. I would have a part time employee take 1/2 page flyers with a brief example of what we were offering to walk-ins, to the busineses (offices, hospital whatever is in your area). We would see a sudden increase in walkin business. We would often offer brownies, chocolate dipped treats and cookies. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%