Broken Cake!

Decorating By Tina2 Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 10:01pm by Cakepro

Tina2 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 6

SOS! I'm doing my very first wedding cake for my BIL's wedding which is next Sat. Practicing this weekend. 3 tiers: 16, 12 and 8 inches. I'm fine with the smaller 2, but I can't figure out how to flip the top layer of the 16 inch cake onto the bottom layer. It broke into 3 huge pieces! Should I let it cool completely before trying to move it? Support it with wax paper, then wiggle the wax paper out from between the layers? I know this is probably a silly newbie problem, but any help or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. : )

5 replies
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 6

I have seen people suggest to use a cookie sheet (one without the lip) as a spatula. Slightly lift the corner of the cake to push between the layers. You can move the cake once it is on the cookie sheet. Good luck!

Tina2 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I'll dig around in my cabinets and see if I can locate something like that. My kids are excited about eating the mountain of broken cake, but I would prefer a whole one! : ) Thanks again! I would have never gotten this far without CC. Major learning experience. : )

Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 6

First of all, I would not use a broken cake for an event as important as a wedding. You are smart to trust your gut instinct on that. icon_smile.gif

Secondly, if you let the cake cool to room temp and then put it in the fridge or the freezer to set up, you will have a much easier time dealing with torting and moving the cake layers.

If you can, get some masonite cake boards from a cake supply shop, or cut them yourself using a jigsaw (masonite is really cheap at Home Depot). Using thin masonite cake boards to move large layers makes it a pretty easy job.

kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 6

A cookie sheet or masonite is great but you can do the same w/a cake circleicon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 6

True...but only double-corrugated cake circles....and then they get ruined because you really can't wash them.

I used to use Wilton cake circles for moving large layers but when one buckled on me and I lost that layer, I no longer trust those flimsy single-corrugated Wilton cake circles...and prefer using stuff that I can wash. icon_smile.gif

Just my 0.02...which in this economy is worth about 1/10th of a cent. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%