Wedding Cake Draped Around With Fondant Material Look.

Decorating By Briarview Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 8:56am by Briarview

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone give me some advice with this cake. I have done drapes before but not on a full cake going around and around. Do you add Tylose or Gum Trag to make it stretchy and wonder what that would be like when cutting. I presume I would start at the bottom and roll out thin as it is a double layer. I am using three 8" stacked cakes. Thank you.
LL

6 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 7

I wish had some advice for you, just giving you a bump really. never done drapes in my life!! to afraid too lol! good luck!

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 7

It seems that it's done at least in two sections, but I've never done that before. BUMP

Briarview Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:07am
post #4 of 7

Where are all you fondant lovers. Please help. Thanks

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:21am
post #5 of 7

Roll your fondant out into a strip about 6" x 30". (You may want to need a little Tylose into your fondant to give it more body.) You need to roll the fondant fairly thin. Lay 4 long dowels rods on the table with a space between each rod. Lay your strip of fondant over the rods and run your finger down the length of the fondant between each dowel rod. This will give you nice even "folds in the look of fabric." You can now squeeze the rods a little closer together if desired. Take a pizza cutter and trim the fondant along each outer length of the dowel rod. Now you have a fold on the top and bottom side of your strip.

Let fondant sit while you roll out another piece and repeat instructions. Take the first piece and wrap it around the buttercream iced cake, starting at the bottom

Keep repeating until you get to the top of your cake. The folds should hide were the pieces meet. It is pretty easy after you have done it a couple of times. The dowel rods are the trick to getting nice folds.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:49am
post #6 of 7

This would work great with my chocolate fondant, because you can roll it REALLY thin, paper thin, and still have strength. My guess is, they just cut strips of fondant, folded each long edge under and starting at the bottom, layer them one on top each other. I would use a bead of BC to stick them on to the undercoating of icing. If you rolled them REALLY thin, it would not be a big, bulky deal to cut it. Let me know if I can help you more.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Briarview Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:56am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for your help. Will have to practice as I have it for this coming weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%