Tips For A Sheet Cake

Decorating By i_love_chocolate Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 10:15pm by have_your_cake

i_love_chocolate Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 3

I am about to make my first sheet cake, and just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I'm worried about it not baking evenly. What should my oven temp be? since the cake recipe i'm using is not specifically for a sheet cake i'm assuming it would need to be a lower temp. Also, i've heard of putting a flower nail in the center, does this work?? Any advice is very much appreciated!!! Also, if you have any tips on filling a cake so big!! thanks!

2 replies
icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 3

i bake 9x13x2... 11x15x2... 12x18x2... i have never in 13 years used a flower nail or heating core in my cakes.. if people do, that is ok too.. i bake at 325 degrees , until it is done. i check after about 25-30 minutes .. and keep checking every 5 minutes. the light is on and i look thru the door. right when i think it is ready, then i open the door and touch the top of the cake, and then i can tell. if i use a filling, i torte with the small wilton cake leveler , using this, up to a certain size cake.. if big, i use the agbay to torte.. i use the same size board as cake will be on or same size as cake. lift off. put my dam and filling.. then carefull slide cake top on all this.. i have done this for 13 years. if, when sliding the top on and it touches the dam and filling a little. that is ok too..just , adjust it like it should be. i then use a 12 0r 21 tip and go around edges where it is torted with icing and then smooth with statula. i do this with any size cake i make. and with any flavor. it helps seals the opeing when the two layers meet. let set up for a little bit. then ice the cake with no problem.. hth

have_your_cake Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 3

My tips: make sure you have a big enough cooling rack. A large cookie sheet can be used to move & stack the layers when torting. Make sure your base is really strong because it will be heavy. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%