Little Holes In Fondant

Decorating By cakecrazy09 Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 1:59am by JenniferMI

cakecrazy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy09 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 9

I have only worked on three fondant cakes. The first one was white and I had no trouble. The second one was green and the third was orange. By time I get to the color I'm after the fondant has tiny holes all over it and the more I work it the worse it gets. Look like air pockets. I'm keeping it very moist with crisco on the board and my hands. The finish product looks nice but has the holes all over it. Any idea what is causing this?

8 replies
Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 9

Do you use ready-made fondant or make your own? Is it made with marshmallows or with gelatin? I don't really know the answer but maybe some questions will help puzzle it out....plus I know I always hate it when I have a question and no one responds. icon_rolleyes.gif

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 9

I make Rhonda's ultimate MMF, and sometimes get those if I don't knead it well enough the next day when I go to use it. If it seems too hard to knead - put it in the microwave for 3-5 seconds (that's all it takes) and you'll be able to knead it well. Then I just let it sit (wrapped again) for about 10 minutes before I roll it out.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 9

It might be that you're over using the shortening. I did that once and was getting the holes that looked like it was drying out and I just ended up putting the fondant aside and starting over with a new batch. When I was cleaning up a while later, the colored fondant I had put aside was sitting in a pool of oil! So I think you be putting too much shortening.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 9

Oh - I put only a small amount of Pam down on the counter before I roll it out and I don't have problems with it sticking or anything. I don't grease my hands or add any to the fondant.

tc4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tc4cake Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 9

I swear this happens to me all the time. One of my cake buddies said it's a stretching that's happening. Now with me, it happens when I lift and put on the cake and it occurs on the edge and sides so she thinks I'm maybe a little thin and it's stretching on me. I did overuse shortening once and it happened all over but because the rolling pin had zero contact with the fondant. whoops.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 9

sounds like too much crisco to me.

cakecrazy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy09 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 9

thanks everyone. I had a feeling it was too much crisco. I used Fondex and it was pretty sticky and seemed to be drying out fast so I kept adding crisco. Next time I will use cornstrach if it gets sticky. Thanks for all the responses.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:59am
post #9 of 9

Sounds like to much crisco.

You should try chocolate fondant, it's all I use. You never have to keep it moist. The oils in the chocolate give you a much longer work time.
I just dust my table, roll it out, and pick it up with my arms...even 18" cakes I do this way.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%