Help Me Please!!! Easy Question, I Think!

Decorating By woodthi32 Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 2:03am by JenniferMI

woodthi32 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 6

How do I wrap a ribbon around the base of a square cake without "cutting" into the icing? Is there any particular kind of ribbon that works well at the base of this or any other cake? Is there a way to keep satin from absobing oils?

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 6

There is no good way to keep ribbon from absorbing oils. The things people have tried that might work to some degree are:
Iron ribbon between pieces of wax paper & apply 'scotch' tape to the back. Others apply a light coat of b'cream so the grease will be absorbed evenly but this will darken the color.

As for applying it to a sq cake......it's tricky icon_sad.gif You just have to not pull it around the corner.
Fix yourself a file card to the exact size of the ribbon; run that over the ribbon to attach it w/o pulling. Some do it w/their fingers but I find it will be more even pressure if you use something solid like a piece of cardboard/file card/hard plastic etc.

marisanovy Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 6

I would try using computer paper cut in the same size as the ribbon. You can make a fold in the cornes and put double sided tape to hold the ribbon in place.

This will help to shape the ribbon and also to hold the grease from the BC.

And what about a fondant ribbon?

HTH

woodthi32 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you! Yeah, I know, fondant. The customer wants ribbonicon_smile.gif
I guess as long as it absorbs the oils evenly, that's ok. I wonder if I wer to iron a crease right at the corner too, if that would help. Thanks! I am definitely going to try the inex card or computer paper thing!

Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 6

i wait till my icing is set. at least dried out so its firm to touch. then i apply my ribbon with a small dab of RI on the very very back. If not that, i use a small pin with a pearl head. Very pretty icon_smile.gif just remember to tell the customer theres a sharp needle in the back of the cake lol.

JenniferMI Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #6 of 6

I tend to crease the ribbon at the corner.

I just don't do real ribbon on iced cakes because I don't like the greasy look. Some rub the entire ribbon with grease so it's uniform in color. I just tell them they can have a "chocolate" ribbon instead....they always go for that icon_smile.gif

I do offer real ribbon on fondant cakes, but most of the time, they want the chocolate ribbon.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%