Diy Dobord?

Baking By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 1:05pm by rhondab

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 5

Has anybody tried making one? Cause i've been fiddling with the thought of it... I could probably also use it for rolling out fondant and such. That will be very helpful.

4 replies
dessert1st Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 5

I hav been trying to fgure it out too! I think if I get a close up pic of one, I'll take it to one of the local Amish woodworkers and see what they can do for me. Heck, they might have something that they already use in their own kitchens?! That is of course only if my handy Hubby can't do it. I dream stuff up, and he seems to find a way to make it. I should hire him out icon_rolleyes.gif .

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 5

Let me give a thought on that.

The dobord design before the present design was just two depths--you just flipped it over and viola the other depth so no moving parts. And for me I think I would like the two depth model better--I mean for sure the grass is always greener but I like to twiddle less with stuff.

I do really like my 4 depth dobord but two depths would be much easier.

But wanted to put that thought out there on the air (brain) waves.

(I just saw an article that says all of our gazillion choices messes up our brains--oh yeah they're singing my song--but here I go offering another choice. icon_biggrin.gif Someone shoot me. icon_biggrin.gif

edited to say the reason I thought about the article about fractured brains due to the epidemic of choice is because I was thinking about suggesting two different sized ones to make up the 4 depths that are currently avvailable. Like who really needs three different kinds of dobords????

Oh yes my brain is fractured by choice. icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

majka_ze Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 5

I did play with the idea - being where I am (Czech republic), buying an "original" isn't very practical idea.
But than I did something even easier - I went to our home depot store, got 3 different wooden trims (for ca. 1/8 in, 1/4 in and 7/16 in x 5/8 in). I cut it in half - from each I got 2 ca. 14 in long pieces. I put it on normal board and roll - easy to use, easy to clean. I can use all 4 depths as I want. Cost? About $1.50
To make simple 2 depths board, you could take this idea further. Fix the trim on the board from both sides and you are done...

rhondab Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 5

DH and I talked about this. His suggestion was to build frame to maximum thickness , then have several 1/8 inch thick bottoms that can be stacked into the frame to change the depth as desired. So maybe build the frame for 1/2 inch, insert extral layers on bottom to get 3/8, 1/4, 1/8. More materials and cost than changing the sides, but pretty easy to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%