Business Owners: I Need Some Guidance Please!

Business By NewToTheBizz Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 11:18am by NewToTheBizz

NewToTheBizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewToTheBizz Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:03am
post #1 of 6

Business owners, please help!

I would like to open a home based cake business in about 3 years, I figure that that's a realistic amount of time to plan and save some $$.

I currently reside in Hawaii, but plan to return home (California) in a few years and buy a house that has detached space to bake. I would like a storefront business, but feel this is the best option to start off with. I have been on CC trying to educate myself on the good, the bad and the ugly. So far everyone has been a huge help, BUT there is so much information to take in...where do I start?

There's...

Insurance, recipes, codes, marketing, equipment, book-keeping, pricing, employees, contracts, legalities... I could go on and on and on!

I'm a list type of girl and these unorganized thoughts are driving me crazy. I need some sort of guidance to get me going in the right direction. I would greatly appreciate ANY advice you can give.

5 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:55am
post #2 of 6

i'm not sure, but i don't think you can have a home based food biz in california...call the health dept...or check online.

start saving $$$$$.....and i worked at other bakeries for years before i opened my place, you might wanna start there to see what it's like...see if you'll even like doing it professionally........it's not at all like doing a few cakes at home every now and then....it's high stress and a lot of work, making your overhead.

good luck....you can search the archives here and get a lot of info, this question is asked every couple of weeks or more.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 6

No can do in CA icon_sad.gif
*Maybe* if the property is NOT in a city.....like a county area you might if it is a completely separate building. But then you get into zoning laws beside health dept stuff. Been there done thaticon_sad.gif

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 6

I live in California. I have a separate building next to may house, kind of like a detached garage. I have turned it into a commercial kitchen. Fully licensed. It can be done, but you have to be willing to work hard at getting it. I didn't take no for an answer. The health department said it was extremely rare, but it can be done.

I went to the city manager in my town. I am in a town, not in the country.
I kept saying that I wanted to build a bakery. He kept saying "no you want to build a catering kitchen" I kept saying No I don't want to cater, I want to build a bakery. He said again"no you want to build a catering kitchen, one that you will just be cooking out of and no-one will be coming to your property" I finally got it and said OH YEAH! I want to build a catering kitchen! I received a special home occupation permit and a license. Health dept followed and $30,000 dollars later, I had my kitchen. (let me just state though, that I have some extra land on my property. I am not in a housing tract, so although I have neighbors, there were not a lot of people who would object to it) So you do have to make sure that you find just the right piece of property.

I am finding out though, that you really have to work a lot harder at getting your name out. But I don't have to pay rent to anybody It is mine. I am seriously considering finding a SMALL place to use as a commercial showroom. Being at home has allowed me the opportunity to save on expenses enough to look into a showroom.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 6

There is a lot of excellent information at the Small Business Administration web site about starting a business. There are some free on-line classes, and I think every state has a SCORE office with volunteer business owners and execs who will meet with you and answer your questions. They've been a tremendous resource to me and you can use them even if you don't intend to get an SBA loan. That'll give you a start on the business end of it.

NewToTheBizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewToTheBizz Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:18am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascades

I live in California. I have a separate building next to may house, kind of like a detached garage. I have turned it into a commercial kitchen. Fully licensed. It can be done, but you have to be willing to work hard at getting it. I didn't take no for an answer. The health department said it was extremely rare, but it can be done.

I went to the city manager in my town. I am in a town, not in the country.
I kept saying that I wanted to build a bakery. He kept saying "no you want to build a catering kitchen" I kept saying No I don't want to cater, I want to build a bakery. He said again"no you want to build a catering kitchen, one that you will just be cooking out of and no-one will be coming to your property" I finally got it and said OH YEAH! I want to build a catering kitchen! I received a special home occupation permit and a license. Health dept followed and $30,000 dollars later, I had my kitchen. (let me just state though, that I have some extra land on my property. I am not in a housing tract, so although I have neighbors, there were not a lot of people who would object to it) So you do have to make sure that you find just the right piece of property.

I am finding out though, that you really have to work a lot harder at getting your name out. But I don't have to pay rent to anybody It is mine. I am seriously considering finding a SMALL place to use as a commercial showroom. Being at home has allowed me the opportunity to save on expenses enough to look into a showroom.

Darn! So it's ok to have a "catering kitchen", but not a "bakery"? I would have liked my customers to come to my property (appointment only, of course). I do understand I will have to find a specific type of property with enough space to build a detached kitchen, one that'll work well in the neighborhood I choose. It's definitely gonna be tough and that's why I want to start this process sooner rather than later. There's so much to cover (pulling out hair).

My first step: I will check out the SBA site and see about meeting w/ someone from my local SCORE office here in Honolulu. Also, I recently got hired at a bakery- YAY! I'm going to soak up as much knowledge as I can.

I really apprecate the advice you all have given me. I feel so lucky to have you ladies to go to. I will keep you posted on my progress icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%