How Do I Get My Fondant Navy Blue

Decorating By sweetsusy Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 8:40pm by Cakeonista

sweetsusy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsusy Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:59am
post #1 of 17

I have a Toronto Maple Leaf cake due in a couple of hours and for the life of me can't get navy blue out of fondant . Please can someone tell me how I can get the right colourt?

16 replies
botevinka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
botevinka Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:36am
post #2 of 17

I use Navy Blue food coloring ( Americolor ) it works very well for me thumbs_up.gif

sweetsusy Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:41am
post #3 of 17

Really I have cake craft super navy blue and it's not working.. icon_cry.gif

sweetsusy Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:59am
post #4 of 17

It is now 4:00am and I'm so stress I can't get my fondant to turn navy blue. The lady at the store told me it would and it's not I have a customer pick up this cake in a couple of hours Iand I can't complete it. Please please Please help. Any suggest I'm up for trying anything right now.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:50am
post #5 of 17

I am no expert by any means but you seem desperate so my guess would be (maybe try it on a tiny bit first) that if it is not dark enough, add a touch of black to darken it a bit.

sweetsusy Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:08am
post #6 of 17

okay it's now 5:00am and I FINALLY got it. Royal blue with purple I used violet gives you NAVY BLUE!!!!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:29am
post #7 of 17

Well done! You must be so relieved ... and exhausted!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 17

Poor thing. Glad that you got it worked out. Post a pic after you've had some sleep. =o)

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 17

I know you already got your color, but I thought I would put my two cents in. (I really have to stop ending my sentences in prepositions!) When I can't get a dark enough color on my fondant, I leave it the lighter color and paint over it with the darker color to make it look right. I also really like Sugarcraft's color mixing chart for quick and easy reference...I use it a lot! You can find it here:
http://********************

I am still new so I am betting all of you know this stuff already, but oh well. Just trying to help!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 17

Niliquely -- the company's name you recommended came up blocked!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 17

If the name is blocked, there's a 99% chance it should be ******************** (no periods).

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 17

i have made navy blue... using royal blue.. touch of black.... turned out really good for me..now i have the americolor . navy blue. always used the royal and black before..hth

sweetsaretas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsaretas Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 17

Royal Blue and black work well for me! I've used it for male cakes. I didn't want it black, didn't want a pretty blue. It turned out well.

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #14 of 17

Sheesh...I'm sorry, I didn't know it would do that! Cakepro is right though! You will have to type it in rather than clicking the link - sorry!!!
icon_redface.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:10pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by botevinka

I use Navy Blue food coloring ( Americolor ) it works very well for me thumbs_up.gif

What she said ^

J.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #16 of 17

I glad you got the colour you were after.
This post is really good for mixing colour and there are several charts for different brands on there (not all on pg1 of the post).

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-589750-mixing.html+char

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:40pm
post #17 of 17

Yes, I also used blue with a little black and it works well but i'm definitly going to try Americolor's navy blue, my arms are still hurting. lo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%