***desperate*** Please Help!!

Decorating By tomatoqeen Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 9:27pm by beck30

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:19am
post #1 of 15

It's never happened to me before. It's one of my biggest fears...icing coming off or cake bulge. What do I do? 14" round 2-layer WASC filled with frostin pride and strawberries iced in a typical ABC. It's like the frosting is coming apart from the cake. AND I HAVE PUT FONDANT ACCENTS ON IT ALREADY!! And, I have to stack a mouse head on top!! Please help!!

I threw it in the fridge...didn't know what else to do.

14 replies
leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #2 of 15

It's hard to tell what is going on with your cake without seeing it. What recipe did you use?

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:37am
post #3 of 15

I had it happen before when the outside of the cake was too moist. Also when the icing was too thick (not consistancy-wise, but actually too much icing on the cake) and it wasn't adhered to the cake well enough.

thepinklotusstore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thepinklotusstore Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:48am
post #4 of 15

I had a bulge once it was almost like trapped air on one side, and it was actually my BC being too stiff or dry, so it didnt stick well enough to the cake and started coming apart form it...What I did was stick a disinfected needle in the center of the bulge and tried to carefully smush out the air, its hard though cause theres no way of getting under the icing to make it moist and stick.....Good luck , Im also in a horrible bind and dontknow what to do right now, so I feel your pain!! hehhe

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:52am
post #5 of 15

Is it possible to pull the fondant off, scrape off the bc, and start over?

It sounds like either the cake was "wet" or cold maybe, when you iced it and the condensation was trapped under the bc. Did you freeze or refrigerate the layers before you iced?

Did you use an icing tip to apply the bc? Sometimes if the tip isn't placed against the cake when applying the icing, than the icing will not adhere properly.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, hopefully you have time to fix it.

Good luck!

tomatoqeen Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 5:12am
post #6 of 15

Thanks for all your responses!! Because of the size I did pop it in the freezer for about 10 minutes, just to firm it up a bit. No way was it frozen. It does seem like there was air on the inside and I was thinking of the pin method. May still try it. The cake is straight from the WASC (Rebecca Sutterby) recipe. I did use an icer tip, which I always do, but my BC did seem a bit softer than I would like. I love stiff icing for placing on a cake, but I am trying to get away from the grittiness and greasiness of ABC so I have been trying different BCs.. It's been in the fridge for awhile now and once it cooled off (me too!) I was able to use my hand to press it back on. Not the prettiest, but not too bad. I am going to stack on it now, so wish me luck!!

I think I am more worried about delivery at this point. My DH will be delivering and attending the party while I am at the scrapbook expo. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy myself and not worry about the cake!!

Thanks again!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 15

if the cake was cold when yopu iced it, that is your culprit right there.

condensation under the icing.....

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 15

I had that happen once with a cake. Very frustrating. I finally said "the heck with it", took all the fondant accents off, scraped all the icing off and started over. Worked like a charm the second time around.

tomatoqeen Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 15

I stacked it and tried to repair it as best as I could...you can see the blowout on the yellow tier. I am in no way a professional, just do it for fun. (For fun?? This is getting too stressful to be called fun!! LOL!!)

Thanks for all your help!! Next time I will be careful about chilling, make my icing stiffer, and probably do a crumb coat. I have never done it that way before. I usually just use one "coating" of icing, but I am thinking it may lend it more stability??

Thanks again!!
LL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:04am
post #10 of 15

What's ABC?

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #11 of 15

Leahs I think it means American Butter cream.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:29am
post #12 of 15

I never crumb coat; I personally do not think that plays into this issue. imo it was wetness

Been there, many times. HUGS

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:34am
post #13 of 15

that'a a really cute cake

tomatoqeen Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:20pm
post #14 of 15

thanks everyone...

Sugarshack---you do amazing work!! Thanks for your help!

mclaren -- thanks!

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:27pm
post #15 of 15

Thats a nice cake! I like the bright colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%