Tip - Avoiding Crumbs In Buttercream

Decorating By sulia Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 2:30pm by shannon100

sulia Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 11

i often have the problem of my buttercream 'pulling off' some of the cake when i am icing my cake, even crumbcoating, causing me aggravation and of course crumbs everywhere. this happens more so when the cake is very moist. so, today i simply dusted some icing sugar on all sides of the cake and this worked brilliantly. the buttercream stayed on the cake and i was able to smooth it directly without even doing a crumbcoat.

hope this will help someone

10 replies
marisanovy Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 11

I have the same problem with my cakes! It's so frustrating...

I'll try that next time.

Sulia, you are awsome. Thank you so much for sharing this tip. icon_smile.gif

bmcd17 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 11

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Terri05 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you so much for sharing your tip. I am going to give it a try.

kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 11

It sounds to me like the icing is not thin enough if it is 'pulling cake off' while icing.

A great, easy crumb coat is to melt buttercream icing in the micro (about 1/3 cup takes only about 10 seconds). Pour this liquified icing over the cake and spread quickly. It cools fast and really seals the cake. It will be similar to the glaze finish on a glazed donut icon_smile.gif

icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 11

i only crumb coat chocolate layers.. i use the same buttercream that i am icing with.. make it a lilttle thinner with water, milk, whipping cream or whatever.. crumb coat.. let set up for a little bit.. then ice with my buttercream.. have that at a smooth, between medium and thin consistency. keep spatula on top of icing always. icing is between cake and spatula.. keep spatula moving back and forth, etc. i was taught this with my wilton teacher 13 years ago. and then with another teacher when i took a refresher course with her.. she taught me how to ice my cakes without using the 789 tip and bag. hth. if your icing is too thick, it will pull your cake in peices.

crisseyann Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:57am
post #7 of 11

kakeladi, that sounds brilliant. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the awesome tip!

softgreenside Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks sulia. I find i have the same issue, i'll have to try that and see if it works. I want to get better at doing buttercream as it does look nice when it's clean.

I'll try that this weekend!

jensenscakes Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 11

I've also found that chilling your cake in the fridge is a big help so it's not too soft and holds up better.

cylstrial Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:22am
post #10 of 11

I never would have thought to try that! It's amazing that you didn't even have to do crumb coat!

shannon100 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 11

Kakeladi, What BC recipe do you use that you can melt? I tried melting mine once (probably because I read your tip somewhere!), but it didn't melt well. I use the Wilton recipe, half butter/ half crisco. I thought the poured method sounded so cool, but I just couldn't get it to work right. I didn't know if it was because I use crisco or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%