Cardboard Dowels And Bubble Straws?

Decorating By dolphindreamers Updated 24 May 2014 , 12:45pm by cakeladynh

dolphindreamers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphindreamers Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know where I could find cardboard dowels and bubble straws? I would think they are easier to deal with than wooden dowels. What is your opinion of these?

9 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 10

Never seen cardboard dowels, other than in Edna's tutorials...bubble tea straws...LOVE THEM! (when I'm not using SPS that is icon_wink.gif )

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 10

Oh...oops. One of the managers at a Hawaiin restaurant in town sells me a box of them every once in awhile for like $5.00. I know I can get them cheaper online, but it's just down the street from me....easy peasy.

They are everywhere online! Amazon, Bob aT eaD irect

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 10

Not sure about where to get cardboard dowels but i have found bubble tea straws in an oriental grocery in town. I bet if you went to that sort of grocer in your town you'd find them there. Just ask for them if you don't see them. My grocer had them in the back of the store. HTH

Oh, and i know you can find the straws online but looking for them locally would save you shipping.

Suz

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 10

I buy bubble tea straws from a local asian food market for 99 cents for a bag of 50!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:26am
post #6 of 10

bubble tea straws rock! CHEAP on ebay

dolphindreamers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphindreamers Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 10

Ok, another question. For those of you that have used the straws, do you use them for your bottom layer? Or just for the smaller layers towards the top of the cake?

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphindreamers

Ok, another question. For those of you that have used the straws, do you use them for your bottom layer? Or just for the smaller layers towards the top of the cake?

That's all i use for support for all layers..plus your cardboard round under each cake of course. Not had problems yet. thumbs_up.gif

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 10

I just use the straws and I use Tuff Boards instead of cardboard rounds, they are sturdier.

cakeladynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladynh Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:45pm
post #10 of 10

I know this is an old thread, but I did find the cardboard dowels while searching for tea/bubble straws. Lady Mary / Ateco Parchment Coated Paperboard Dowels, 12-Pack.

Ateco sells them on Amazon (and is a Prime company!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%