How Do You Make A Gift Box Cake?

Decorating By DAviles Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm by solascakes

DAviles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DAviles Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a bridal shower cake for next weekend and would like to try and make the top tier look like a gift, can anyone share with me how to make the top part of the box?

Thanks in advance.

Diane icon_sad.gif

8 replies
showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 9

I'd say buy Sharon Sugarshack's DVD "Boxes and Bows" but you don't have enough time. I have it but have only watched how to do the first one which is a square cake with a lid on it. For that cake, you add tylose powder to fondant so that it will dry. Roll it out and cut out a piece slightly larger than the finished cake will be (you will cut it again once the cake is finished) and cut four pieces for the sides (slightly longer than the side of the cake). Dry flat for 3-4 days. Carefully flip pieces every day or so so that the bottom can dry. Once cake is iced, carefully measure the finished dimensions of the top and make a template out of paper. Then using the template cut the piece of fondant that has dried. You don't want it to be so hard that it shatters or cracks when you cut it. The drying time depends on how much tylose you add and your weather/fondant/etc. Apply the tope to your cake using melted chocolate or royal icing as the glue. Then apply each side using the "glue" after measuring each side. Make sure you measure the side you are working on AFTER the previous sides fondant has been placed so that the seams match up.

Thais is the best way I can describe it in words. Truly, a picture is worth a thousand words.

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 9

I've made a lot of gift cakes in my gallery using the technique shown here:

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gift-box-cake-tutorial.html

DAviles Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you for your answers they are very helpful, I'm going to give it a try today.

Diane

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 9

didi5 thanx for the great link! I have always wondered how to make that cake using only buttercream. I had no idea it was that easy icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 9

there are a few dfferent ways to approach a lid

dried panels
fondant overlay
gumpaste one propped on side
faux lid....

showers above did a good job describing how i do my paneled one

DAviles Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 9

I think I want to do just the lid in gumpaste with a ribbon and bow propped up slightly and add flowers between lid and cake.

Diane

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 9

I so need to order that DVD...

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 9

didi5 thanks for that link

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%