Cake Carving Tips

Decorating By pont_shanks Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 10:03pm by Shellyw

pont_shanks Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everybody!

I am new to this forum and new-ish to the world of cake decorating.

So here is my problem:

A family friend asked me to decorate a cake for her husbands' 50th birthday. I agreed to do so and today she brought me over her inspiration for the birthday cake. It's a model of a 1970's Trans am. She promised him one when he turned 50, hence the cake.

My problem is with cake carving. I'm not the best at it. Of course, I plan to make a few dummy trans-am cakes before I make the real one just so I am not going into this blindly. If any of you have any advice or tips on carving a cake, that would be awesome.

The cake itself is going to be the size of a football, they are getting a sheet cake as well since most people attending the party hate the taste of fondant. I just want this cake to be great for them. I have know this family since early childhood and this is my gift to them.

Thanks in advance for any help icon_smile.gif

3 replies
sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 4

I have some pics that are not mine, so i cant post them

email me and i will send them to you

pipe-dreams Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 4

I am making a 63 mustang in a few weeks. My first, and probably most important pointer...
Carve a little at a time. You can always carve more, but it's harder to add cake that you accidentally carved too much off!
Also, take your time, plan out exactly what you want to do and exactly how you will go about carving it. Maybe get a template from online, like a side view and a front view. Then use that as a starting point to carving the outline. I know a few people on here have done cars..you could try to pm one of them for help.
Good luck!!

Shellyw Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 4

I have been doing more carved cakes lately. I find it helpful to draw the subject to scale. Also draw every view, top, back, side, front. It helps me know how to start carving. Good Luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%