Cherry Stems

Decorating By mija10417 Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm by JenniferMI

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 15

Anyone have any ideas of what I could use for cherry stems? I was thinking of green florist wire and gumpaste leaves but I have over 100 to make and was hoping to come up with something easier.

I bought a pack of plastic cherry stems from CK but they're very short and look kind of funny once placed in the cherry.

14 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 15

I made a cherry cake and used REAL cherry stems in the sugar cherries. It looked great! I bought the fresh cherries when they were in season in the summer, just dried the stems. They did turn dark, but still looked great. Green ones would be very pretty, too.

Jen
LL

JenniferMI Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 15

Let me try a closer shot. There, this is better icon_smile.gif

Jen
LL

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 15

that was very clever. Could you use already grenn flower wire. They have it here at the Dollor Tree or even at walmart, then you shouldn't have to cover it, I wouldn't think.

JenniferMI Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 15

You could use wire, but I loved how natural the stem was with the little "nub" where the stem connects to the tree.

Jen icon_smile.gif

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 15

The cherry stems look great.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 15

oOOOHHHHHHH!! I know!! I saw your post last night but didn't think of this until just now.......

Wafer paper!!

Cut into strips; dampen; roll up tight. It take a bit of practice to get it rolled thin enough but it can be done icon_smile.gif Let dry, then cut into the size you want.
While wet you can shape them. For the 'knob' on the top make tiny ovals (fondant?/gumpaste?/wafer paper?) and 'glue' on once the stem is dry.

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for the great ideas everyone!

Jen - LOVE your cake and the cherries! That's a great idea but being I have over a 100 to make and don't want to spend any more money and buying all those cherries could start to add up.

I liked the idea of the florist wire or green string licorice. I showed a pic to the customer last night with the ck stems and she likes those so I guess that's what I'm going with. Here's a pic... I personally think the stem is too short but if she likes them that's all that matters!
LL

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 15

I think they still look good, a little short I agree but hey the cutomers happy. I do love the real cherry stems they are great too.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 15

Dang, Jen...that is fantastic! Your cakes are always breathtaking...and using natural stems is so smart.

When cherries come in season, I'm going to dry a bunch of stems and store them just for this purpose. icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 15

I had to pat myself on the back for that one - LOL! Yes, using wire would work...but this is SO easy and they of course, could not be more real looking. I wanted something that would look really real...then the lite bulb came on icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif
PS - Thanks for your kind words on my work! (((hugs)))

Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

icon_smile.gif
PS - Thanks for your kind words on my work! (((hugs)))

Of course! I am a big fan of yours. I can't wait until you come back to the Houston area. icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 15

Sherry -

Sharon and I are doing our tag team class in Sugarland this fall.

I LUV Texas!!! I have some wonderful friends down there!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 15

Woohoo! I will be there. icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm
post #15 of 15

Sherry -

If you want me to put you on the list, e-mail me.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%