Taking Samples To Other Businesses???

Business By jewelykaye Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 4:54pm by jewelykaye

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 13

For those of you out there that have done these please share your experience.

I'm thinking of making up some cake truffles, little pretty cakes or cookies and taking them to some local businesses.

However, the thought of actually going makes me very nervous! icon_eek.gificon_redface.gif

What do you say to them when you go in there?

Have you ever had a business be rude to you and kick you out because it is soliciting? icon_surprised.gif

What kind of goodies did you take to them and what has your success rate been?

Sorry for the multitude of questions but I figure if I hear others experiences then maybe it will calm my nerves. icon_rolleyes.gif

12 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 13

I used to work for a women's clothing company. We were always having sales and had to go and hand flyers out. We always went to banks and businesses because our clothing was primarily for the working woman. Anyway, I never had any trouble from anyone. They were always very gracious and couldn't wait to come to the sale.

I can't imagine that anyone would turn down delicious cake! Just go in and try it!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 13

i went all over with cakes when i opened in 02.

the best place to go is teachers lounges at lunchtime.

don't be scared...peeps LOVE free food!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:15am
post #4 of 13

Good idea Littlecake!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:12am
post #5 of 13

Nobody ever kicks out the cookie lady!

"Hi, I'm Debi with Cater It Simple and I'm out introducing myself to my neighbors. Here are some free cookie samples for you ... and you have to share them (Hand them your card and maybe a flyer, as they stuff a cookie in their face). We do special occasion cakes, cookies, and catering, such as for employee celebrations, board meetings, and seminars. CHeck out our website and let me know how I can help!" (Turn and walk out .... takes less than 2 minutes).

You want to be friendly, memorable and not a PITA. In and out.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:35am
post #6 of 13

Oh sure, I've done that in years past. "Hi, I'm Leah with Louisville Wedding Cake. I worked a wedding with you six months ago, and just wanted to make sure you had the opportunity to try one of my cakes. I've included some business cards. And I really appreciate referrals. Thanks. Bye." Hand over cake and leave. I really only go to other wedding vendors, try to compliment them on something (previous gig worked together, window display, anything).

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #7 of 13

Another angle you could try...since you're nervous....call them a couple of days before you go over so you know that they are expecting you.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 13

Don't be nervous, everybody loves freebies..the key is to cut to the chase and not waste the other persons time. Make sure you give extra cards and include a menu/list if you have one. Good Luck!

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 13

oh thank you for this topic.I am looking for any information I can get .I have been doing this from home for some time but I am thinking ( too scared) of doing it full time and open a shop.
Thanks
Zubia

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:16am
post #10 of 13

I have individually packaged cookies with a business card stapled to each one. That way, if you drop off 10 cookies to an office, you'll know that all 10 people who get them will have your card. Individual packaging also keeps the person at the front desk from hoarding them - they're more likely to pass them around.

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:32am
post #11 of 13

I have been thinking about doing this too ~ great tips! Thanks everyone!

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 13

Find out when local organizations are holding their next meeting and drop a cake and business cards by. Your cake will be the conversation of the meeting icon_wink.gif

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

I have individually packaged cookies with a business card stapled to each one. That way, if you drop off 10 cookies to an office, you'll know that all 10 people who get them will have your card. Individual packaging also keeps the person at the front desk from hoarding them - they're more likely to pass them around.

Oh I love that idea! I was worried that the hoarding problem would happen and my info would only reach a couple people. This is perfect.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions.

And thank you Indydebi for wording. That definitely helps my confidence. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%