Nirvana-Style Decorating

Decorating By chelleb1974 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 1:57am by redpepper

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 14

I would like to try my hand at the Nirvana style of cake decorating. However, I have made a fairly good sized colorflow piece (8" across) and had it snap on me, for seemingly no reason.

Looking for advice on how to keep my collars and sides from breaking on me.

TIA,
Chelle

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 14

Years ago they would use tulle (netting) as a strengthener. You might try that. I used to have a book......loved the designs but never really made any. It's a beautiful style icon_smile.gif

added latericon_smile.gif
Oh, just sitting here waiting for the computer to post this and thought....
what about using a very thin pieces of fondant &/or gumpaste as a backing?

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 14

What in the world is this style? Im confused! icon_confused.gif

chelleb1974 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 14

Great idea kakeladi! Why didn't I think of that! lol

My ultimate goal is to do the ICES certification testing, so I'm doing some of the techniques for competitions to see if I can do them icon_smile.gif

Like I said before, I did a 8" color flow of Hello Kitty roller skating, and one of her legs and her hat snapped off while pulling the parchment off the back. Maybe that's part of my problem. When I do color flow on parchment, it ends up 'wrinkly' on the back, and that's with the parchment taped to a cardboard round.

What do you all use to do your color flow on, and does the back of yours end up 'wavy' or 'wrinkly'?

Also - what recipe do you use for your royal icing or color flow, and which do you think would be stronger?

~Chelle

Beck30....it's hard to explain.... the entire cake is encased in either royal icing or color flow run sugar work, with cutouts on the sides so you see the decorating on the cake. The top typically is the same also.

I found some pics online, if I can post them. Again, THESE ARE NOT MY PHOTOS NOR AM I TRYING TO PASS THEM OFF AS MINE. Here's a link if it will work:

http://www.cakeclub.com/photos/nirvana1.jpg

http://www.cakeclub.com/photos/nirvana3.jpg

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 14

Pix are a good example. Usually there is a top and bottom color of run-sugar.
I always make my ColorFlo work on plastic wrap. You will have far less breakage! It is much easier to release the finished piece. Of course I put the plastic on a cookie sheet to keep it stable until it is dry. It also makes it easier to see the pic you are trying to copyicon_smile.gif

chelleb1974 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 14

Plastic wrap is a fantastic idea! Now I can't wait to try it out!

Thank you so much!!!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 14

I have got to stop CC! I want to learn how to do this now! Please post your pics and recipes and what worked for you! Those were pretty cakes and I haven't seen something like that but from old books.

chelleb1974 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 14

Those weren't my pics, and I've only really seen it in books too. The competition is in early May (Great American Cake Show in MD). So, I'll try to remember to post pics afterwards! Maybe I'll remember to take and post pics while I'm working on it. icon_smile.gif

Oh, and those pics I linked too, were not mine, I just found them online.

~Chelle

Daytona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daytona Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 14

Just like beck30 the nirvana style is something I never heard of but I saw the pics and it is a very nice clean look how is it applied and is it very hard to bite into also is their instructions some where to show you how to do this sorry for all the questions but I love learning new cake decorating methods icon_smile.gif
Daytona

chelleb1974 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 14

I have the set of 3 books by Nicholas Lodge and this style is in one of them (sorry, don't remember which one). They are the International School of S u g a r c r a f t books. [Edited to add: Ok, CC blocked it anyway. Go to amazon and search Nicholas Lodge and you'll see the books I'm talking about.]

I beleive if it were a real cake, you would just lift the run-sugar collar and sides off before serving it. This is for a competition, so I don't have that issue to deal with.

I have no idea how it's applied, but I know I read it in the book, lol. I'm gonna have to go read again icon_biggrin.gif

~Chelle

Daytona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daytona Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 14

thanks for the info I am giong to check it out.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 14

Most of it is in Book one - BEGINNER!!! - collars and tulle work and the rest - extension work is in book two icon_smile.gif

chelleb1974 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you! I have all three books at home, it's just been a while since I looked at them. icon_smile.gif

redpepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpepper Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #14 of 14

I also have been looking into this technique. I think it is beautiful and have been doing lots of research. I don't know because I haven't tried this but, I read if you put a VERY thin layer of crisco on the wax or parchmant paper this pieces will come off without breaking. It said the same for lace points.
Not sure I guess its an option to think about.
Pepper

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%