Finally Found The Makin's Green T Extruder!!!

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 3:41am by Cakema

Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 40

After much looking in town (orlando) and even in Seattle, I was unable to find this dang thing!

So decided to buy it online. I remember looking and trying to figure out why it was so hard to find online?!

Well I found a great site...

the clay store .com (no spaces) i had a question and emailed/called after business hours and the man called me the next morning with a solution and I have the thing in hand now! I will definitely use him again for other makin's and ateco products.

They sell many products that could be used on GP and fondant!

Fair Shipping and AMAZING customer service!
LL

39 replies
cylstrial Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 40

That's the one that I have and I love it. Someone on here recommended it and it really is great! Glad you have it now!!

adunfag Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 40

I have that one too and I love it.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 40

I just did a test of it, using straight statin ice (no shortening added) and it is a DREAM! holy moly! SOOOOO easy.

Thanks to Bizatchgirl for recommending I try this one before getting the really expensive sugar one!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Can not wait to make my cake now!

PuffCake Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 40

This is the exact same one I bought a few weeks ago. I used it with mmf and it came out with VERY rough edges. I tried to attach a picture so you can see what I mean, but the pic was too big and I don't know how to make it smaller. I even mixed some Crisco into it before I put it in, but it still came out like this. This is a little weird, but if you've ever seen a super mangnified picture of a human hair, that's what it looks like! Scaled edges. What am I doing wrong? icon_cry.gif

Win Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 40

PuffCake.... you need A LOT of shortening to keep it from looking that way. I mean, a lot. Mushy with shortening. I know exactly what you are describing because I wanted that look for my basket weave as seen in my avatar. I knew I could get it by not using large amounts of shortening in my fondant when extruding. I have the same exact extruder as well and got it with my 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby last year.

cjshoemake Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 40

THANK YOU!! I went on the website and I bought one of the Makin's clay guns plus 8 other things that I can use with fondant/GP. texture sheets, cutters...and SHIPPING WAS ONLY $5.23 FOR ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the site info!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:28am
post #8 of 40

For some reason, MMF doesn't work as well in this extruder. I have found that other brands (like Satin Ice and Fondx) do work better. I don't know why...maybe my MMF is too hard or something. And that's with lots of crisco!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:19am
post #9 of 40

Puff cake I know what you are talking about.. but have never used mmf so I am not sure! so sorry. but satin ice works great..... this is all I know as of now.

cjshoemake: told you shipping was soooooo fair! What other stuff did you get? I found lots I wanted but nothin I needed.. hehe.

Win: my closest hobby lobby is an hour away and they carry it just "we never keep that in stock, it always leaves the same day we put it out!"

theclaystore .com guy is super nice and super knowledgeable. if this was ebaay i would give him an A++++!!

paulstonia Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:22am
post #10 of 40

Try nuking the marshmallow fondant to warm it a little. That's what I did plus using crisco. It worked pretty good.

cjshoemake Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #11 of 40

need?? who really NEEDS any of these baking toys?! I have a bit of an addiction when it comes to new toys for fondant . I bought a few of their cutter sets, flower push mold, leaf push mold(which gives great details to the leaves and MUCH cheaper than the "fondant" ones.) Alphabet and number push mold, a few texture sheets and... can't remember what else. The cutters were only $1.49 for a set of 3 and the rest of the stuff was dirt cheap as well!

thanks again.

lchris Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm
post #12 of 40

Puffcake, you can resize your photos at this site. It's free and easy.
HTH

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/resize.php

FlourPots Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #13 of 40

Rocketgirl...I love my extruder...it's the same one as yours, purchased for me at the same place.

I don't think they make this clear (I know the packaging doesn't)...make sure you load your fondant from the bottom...when I first got mine I loaded from the top...it worked, but was a pain to keep pulling out the pusher thing to re-load...it felt like it was going to break each time.

I didn't know better, and hadn't read that tip anywhere including here.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 40

cjshoemake: lol. totally. i have bought about $175 in things I "need" in the past month. to my defense I can use everything for future cakes and it will make things go MUCH quicker icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif enjoy! My next toy will be a pasta machine I think.......! Enjoy your toys!

Flourpots: I had done LOTS of research and I think the makin's website has a diagram about how to load. But I can see how you would do that. I might have had I not read it some where beforehand. I just checked my packaging and in TINY letters on the back ( i have 20/20 and its small) load the barrel of the extruder from the bottom... now definition of what part is the "bottom" might confuse people. Since they put instructions in 3 languages.. they should just do photos... oh well.

Did any of you notice the grease inside the tool? It makes it twist easier... but that can't be safe to eat?!?! I washed mine in extra hot soapy water and plan to lubricate it with crisco... is this a good or bad idea? I can definitely tell a difference in the easy of use now that is super clean and not lubed...

cjshoemake Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 40

is it easier or harder to use now that the grease is washed out?

gerripje Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:06pm
post #16 of 40

I saw the package for the replacement discs at Michael's, but not the extruder itself. I got a silver one and it sucks!! (or the operator sucks) It hurts sooooo bad to push it through, I thought it just isn't worth it. I'll have to look again because I got Makin's push molds and they work really good.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 10:07pm
post #17 of 40

CJSHOE: its a little harder but not much... just less smooth I would say.. but I am just going to rub crisco on it to lube it up.

gerripje: did u get the one that looks like a syringe? that one sucks.. its not you.

get the Green ultimate one... you will kick yourself for not having it!

theclaystore .com can have it to you in no time! its even on sale for 21 bux and you get 20 discs!!! more than i know what to do with right now icon_biggrin.gif

PuffCake Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:28am
post #18 of 40

Thanks everyone for your advice on using this clay extruder. I will try out all the ideas...maybe even Satin Ice which I've never used before. I want to be excited about my new toy too!!

Rocketgirl899, thanks for the tip about the clay website. I took a look...lots of cool stuff!

Cakepro Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:32am
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

I saw the package for the replacement discs at Michael's, but not the extruder itself.

Those are not the replacement disks...that's a set of different discs. Stupid Makin's does not sell as set of replacements disks. You have to buy a new extruder to get the discs.

I know this because a couple of my disks were ground up in the disposal, so I wrote to the company (they are in Hong Kong). They explained that the disks that come with the extruder are not sold separately, and they would not send me the 2 that I ground up. Jackasses.

So now I have 2 extruders, because of course the 2 disks that I lost were the 2 that I use most. Grrrrrr

Cakepro Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:40am
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Rocketgirl...I love my extruder...it's the same one as yours, purchased for me at the same place.

I don't think they make this clear (I know the packaging doesn't)...make sure you load your fondant from the bottom...when I first got mine I loaded from the top...it worked, but was a pain to keep pulling out the pusher thing to re-load...it felt like it was going to break each time.

I didn't know better, and hadn't read that tip anywhere including here.

What do you mean, load it from the bottom? I don't get what you're saying.

When you twist the plunger all the way to the end (meaning you have extruded all of the fondant), don't you just unscrew and pull the plunger out, screw the green ring back down to the top of the plunger, re-load the barrel with fondant, and screw the plunger assembly back on?

Or is there some kind of shortcut I am totally missing?

FlourPots Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:47am
post #21 of 40

I think you're describing a top load...bottom loading would basically be unscrewing the ring that's holding the disk in place, and sticking your fondant up inside, so the plunger never comes out of the unit until you're done, or changing colors, etc.

xstitcher Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:48am
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

I saw the package for the replacement discs at Michael's, but not the extruder itself. I got a silver one and it sucks!! (or the operator sucks) It hurts sooooo bad to push it through, I thought it just isn't worth it. I'll have to look again because I got Makin's push molds and they work really good.

Last time I checked Michael's no longer carried the Makin's model. You'll either have to order on-line or find it somewhere else. I've still got to order mine too. I'm going to check out the website that the Rocketgirl899 posted.

gerripje Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:56am
post #23 of 40

Darn it!! Yes I have the syringe looking one. It was the only one they had and I wanted to try something. I didn't realize those were other discs. I have so far wrecked about four of the ones that came with this stupid one, they get stuck and had to force them out. It's only been about a week, I may try to return it. Then, as usual, order online this other one. I don't use stuff like this often enough to justify buying the expensive one.

GenGen Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:59am
post #24 of 40

heh , i miss being able to buy stuff in stores sometimes.. i love the option of being able to find things online yes.. but that being the only resort for half of my hobby items really limits well my hobby items! lol that includes cake decorating.. mostly has to do with where i live and yes thats a choice .. but still *sniff* lol

xstitcher Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

heh , i miss being able to buy stuff in stores sometimes.. i love the option of being able to find things online yes.. but that being the only resort for half of my hobby items really limits well my hobby items! lol that includes cake decorating.. mostly has to do with where i live and yes thats a choice .. but still *sniff* lol

I miss it too! I love being able to "see" with my hands rather than a pic on the computer but at least we have the option of getting opinions/feedback from others here before we have to take the plunge...

Rocketgirl899 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:56pm
post #26 of 40

I like being able to go out to the store and pick it up that moment...

xsticher: theclaystore .com was the cheapest with cheapest shipping I found...

Hope you like it!

sweetjan Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:08pm
post #27 of 40

I had the 'standard' extruder for a short time....the red and black one. Didn't like it at all, hard to crank and use. I got the Maken (spell?) that you all are talking about and love it. It's given me the confidence to try making stems, borders, etc. It's such a nice piece of equipment!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:35am
post #28 of 40

jam: glad you love it! I love mine too!

ceshell Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:56am
post #29 of 40

For what it's worth, great service from polyclayplay.com, too. The extruder is a few pennies cheaper there ($19.95) and also only $5.25 to ship. They are in TX, whereas the other one is in FL, so it can come in handy to know that depending on where you live, in order to avoid sales tax thumbs_up.gif.

The owner, Trish, just loved it when I shared with her what I was going to use my extruder for icon_smile.gif.

I remember seeing the very last extruder at Michael's, early last year...I didn't buy it at the time, wasn't sure I "needed" it. Hadn't realized they were going to stop carrying it! icon_mad.gif From what I have heard though, most people can still find it in-store at Hobby Lobby (we don't have that chain out here in CA though.)

MyDiwa Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #30 of 40

I've been considering buying the black and red craft gun, but after seeing all the great comments on CC about the Makins extruder I thought i should try that instead, since it's also much cheaper.

I actually found it for $16.65 on amazon with $6.95 shipping. The strange thing is that it's coming from RitzCamera.com! They also sell other clay products that you can use with fondant, like molds, simple cutters and impression mats. It seems like they only sell these through amazon though because if you go their website you dont see these, it's all electronics. But what do I care, if they're selling clay stuff on the side - like their prices! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%