Crumbcoat Do You Use The Same Color?

Decorating By whitet4 Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 6:43pm by beck30

whitet4 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 5

I don't normally crumbcoat but I want to start since I am so sick of my cakes bulging. Do you use the same color or can you leave it white and put the color on top of that???? TIA

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 5

A crumb coat is so thin you can use either white or the same as the top icing will be.
If you are having trouble w/bulging you may be using too much filling. Make your dam w/tip 12 then fill only as high as the icing is.
Also a crumb coat is probably not going to solve the bulging problem.

whitet4 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 5

thanks for the advice!! I thought that bulging was a settling problem. I was going to crumbcoat and then leave it in the fridge today and decorate it tonight. Will that give it time to settle?? I always try to use very little filling, but always get a bulge. I've read the bulge article but I just don't know icon_cry.gif

KoryAK Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 5

Let it settle before crumbcoating. Fill, settle, remove any subsequent bulging, crumb coat, ice.

beck30 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 5

I always let mine settle overnight and I have never had a problem with bulging, so maybe it does have something to do with settling. (I just never have time to do it all in one day. I make fondant one day (lt it sit) make cakes the next, and then decorate the next, (I didnt plan it that way) icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%