"painting" Design On Fondant

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm by saberger

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 19

I am trying to make a sports logo for a ball cap cake that I'm making, but I'm not sure what is best to use to "paint" the design onto the fondant logo. I was thinking about just using my wilton gel colors and thinning them with some clear vanilla extract because this is really all I have besides royal icing. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!! I am trying to get this cake done today but am stumped about the best way to do this. TIA!

18 replies
pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 19

i experimented with painting on fondant and 1 thing i did not like it seemed to bleed so it was almost hard to control where it went? plus you dont have as much color control they all came out bright but where you said you were doing sports you should be fine. just never try pastels yuck

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 19

i use petal or luster dust all the time instead of gels. I just mix up my color with a little lemon extract and paint it on. You need to make it pretty thick for it to work.

jardot22 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 19

pebblez87 did you paint on fondant that was covering a cake or was it a shape that you had cut out? I am hoping that since I have let the piece of fondant dry out overnight it won't have as much bleeding, but I guess I'll find out when I give it a try!

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 19

mine were cutouts so luckily i just peeled it off, your right maybe drying would have helped so it wouldnt be so i guess spongy, maybe do a trial peice? also so u can make sure the colors r what u like

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 19

I just did some with colour gels and found it took a while to dry (almost 2 days). It was tacky to touch until it dried. I don't know if it had to do with the Wilton white white icing colour I had to add to get a lighter shade or not.
Can you possibly go and get some Food Markers to paint/colour your logo?
I think you can at least get the Wilton ones from Michaels since you need it for today.

Good Luck.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 19

This may not help you now since you said all you have is the Wilton colors and I don't know how much time you have before your cake is due, but airbrush colors work well for painting. You might think about getting a couple small bottles next time you order some supplies, experiment with them, and if you like it you can always get more colors.

I've used them just for playing around painting on fondant and they work pretty well.

jardot22 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 19

Does anyone know if they have Food Markers at Hobby Lobby? I dont have a Michael's nearby, so it's my next best bet,

xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardot22

Does anyone know if they have Food Markers at Hobby Lobby? I dont have a Michael's nearby, so it's my next best bet,

I haven't been in a Hobby Lobby for years, they don't have them out here but seeing as they carry Wilton products I would have to say yes. Can you call them and ask them if they have them in stock? Also, what colours are you looking for? I've added a link to show you what colours they have.

Wilton calls them Foodwriters.

http://search.wilton.com/?q=food+marker&x=0&y=0

Oh, and you might want to check if there are any coupons available right now. My understanding is that Michael's/Hobby Lobby/Joanne's/AC Moore are all interchangeable as long as they have them in your area. Same might apply for other crafts stores as well. You can always check online and print it off.

HTH!

xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 19

I also remember seeing some at the grocery store (don't know which brand it was, I think maybe Betty Crocker or something like that) but didn't look to closely as the colours were not what I was after. I do plan on picking up a pack sometime soon for the kids to play with though. Good Luck!

jardot22 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 19

Wow thanks so much! Now that you mention seeing them in the grocery store, I think I remember seeing something like that too. I need red, so it should be fairly easy to find as long as one of those store has them icon_smile.gif I appreciate your responses!

xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 19

I think your pretty safe to assume that red would be included in those. I hope they work well. Let me know how it turns out.

jardot22 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 19

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I was able to find food markers at Walmart! Woohoo! Here is a pic of the finished cake. I used the food markers for the detail on the razorback logo. You all are the best!
LL

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

This may not help you now since you said all you have is the Wilton colors and I don't know how much time you have before your cake is due, but airbrush colors work well for painting. You might think about getting a couple small bottles next time you order some supplies, experiment with them, and if you like it you can always get more colors.

I've used them just for playing around painting on fondant and they work pretty well.

That sounds like a great idea! I will have to try that. Are the colors vibrant or do they come off as being really 'watered' down and washed out? What about streaks? Whenever I paint, I always have problems with streaks no matter what I do!

xstitcher Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 19

Jardot22, the cake looks great. The logo turned out really well. I'm glad you were find the markers. thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:08pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Quote:

That sounds like a great idea! I will have to try that. Are the colors vibrant or do they come off as being really 'watered' down and washed out? What about streaks? Whenever I paint, I always have problems with streaks no matter what I do!

I thought the colors were pretty true - not watered down at all. And I don't recall having problems with streaking, but I was just kind of messing around with it. I remember thinking that of the methods I'd tried this was the best so far. Good luck - and your cake is FABULOUS! Terrific job!!!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:18pm
post #17 of 19

That looks awesome! I swear that razorback looks printed - very cool.

jardot22 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #18 of 19

Thank you! It was so much fun icon_smile.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Quote:

I thought the colors were pretty true - not watered down at all. And I don't recall having problems with streaking, but I was just kind of messing around with it. I remember thinking that of the methods I'd tried this was the best so far. Good luck - and your cake is FABULOUS! Terrific job!!!

Thank you. icon_smile.gif I will definitely be giving it a try for my dd cake this weekend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%