Freezing Buttercream?

Decorating By JGMB Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 4:39pm by JGMB

JGMB Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 8

If I have leftover buttercream, I put it into a plastic container and freeze it.

My question is . . . if I thaw it and use part, can I re-freeze it? Will it change the taste and/or consistency?

7 replies
JGMB Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 8

Anybody?? Please?

I hate to see it go to waste, but I'd also hate to see it go to MY waist -- she says with spoon poised over the frosting bowl. icon_wink.gif

ddaigle Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 8

I thaw and refreeze all the time. If my consistancy changes, I add more PS.

icer101 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 8

hi, i alway freeze left overs in freezer bags.. but i usually , reuse what is in the freezer bag... i put some in several freezer bags.. then there is none to refreeze.. hth.. and , i don,t freeze for long period..

hazelnut77 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 8

Maybe portion and freeze then you can thaw out only what you're going to use. I would think thawing and re freezing would affect the quality somehow. HTH

kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 8

It can be done ....... have done it many times. You will have to re-beat it when you defrost it. This time when you re-freeze put it in smaller containers or plastic zip bags so you don't have to defrost it often.

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 8

yep but it will stay good in the fridge for a LONG time. I keep all my leftover colors in little containers as well as larger amounts of cho and van bc. I never have a problem with taste or it keeping well. This is esp great cause black and red get darker with time so i will make bigger batches and toss them in the fridge for weeks on end...always good, never a problem

JGMB Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks, everyone!!!! You've all been a great help, as usual.

Happy Spring!

Quote by @%username% on %date%