Omg The Price Of Chocolate Modelling Paste!

Business By costumeczar Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 3:57am by littlecake

costumeczar Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 16

I went online to see how much it would cost to buy chocolate clay instead of making it, and Oh My God, one site has it listed for $158 for 11 pounds icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif ! And that's before shipping costs! I guess I'll keep making it myself!!!

15 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 16

that must be some darn good chocolate! it better be. like it sculpts itself. you just say i want chocolate roses and it does it by itself and it's perfect.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I went online to see how much it would cost to buy chocolate clay instead of making it, and Oh My God, one site has it listed for $158 for 11 pounds icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif ! And that's before shipping costs! I guess I'll keep making it myself!!!

Retail or wholesale?

cylstrial Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 16

Holy crap! Yeah, I'd keep making it too. Do you have a good recipe?

mcook1670 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 16

yep sounds about right, I also make my own chocolate and corn syrup... wow that's hard..lol, If you want I'll make you some for $ 80.lol

littlecake Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 16

i thought i'd be smart and try makin it with almond bark instead of chocolate...it wasn't groovy.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

i thought i'd be smart and try makin it with almond bark instead of chocolate...it wasn't groovy.

I use almond bark all the time for candy clay.

patticakesnc Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 16

http://www.pastrychef.com/MODELING-CHOCOLATE_p_779.html

Not much cheaper but a little. They have LOTS of neat things as well.

cylstrial Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #9 of 16

Thanks for the link Patticakes! I love to just shop around.

If anyone has a good recipe and is willing to share, I'd love to have it!

Thanks!!

FromScratch Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:44am
post #10 of 16

one pound of melted chocolate and 1/2 cup of glucose or corn syrup.. that's all it is. icon_smile.gif

It's expensive to make... a pound of it would cost me about $9 to make.. so if you add it up it's really not that bad. You pay for the convenience of not having to make it and to have it be the same everytime. Albert Uster has it for $144.00 for 13.2 pounds and if your order is over I think it's $200 shipping is free. Grab a container of Massa Grischuna fondant (the best performing commercial fondant out there if you ask me) and you have free shipping. icon_smile.gif

littlecake Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 5:33am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

do you have a recipe to share???

something went horribly wrong....i use almond bark all the time to mold toys and things...so i always have it on hand, sure would be nice to have one less thing to buy.

cylstrial Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:51pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks for the recipe Jeanne! I've never heard of Massa Grischuna fondant, so I'll have to check that out as well.
Thanks for sharing with me!!

FromScratch Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 16

No problem cylstrial... it's pricier than other fondant, but you can roll it thinner and still work with it so it goes further.

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 16

Make Pearl Clay -- it's cost effective, tastes great and you can do anything with it! icon_biggrin.gif See JenniferMI's "fun with fondant frills" DVD at www.jenniferdontz.com for more information.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #15 of 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

do you have a recipe to share???

something went horribly wrong....i use almond bark all the time to mold toys and things...so i always have it on hand, sure would be nice to have one less thing to buy.

I just use a third cup of corn syrup to a pound of almond bark. I mean to me, it's such an odd product that not many that I encounter would detect that it is not real chocolate.

I mean there's that fine line between using the finest of the fine ingredients and making a specialty cake somewhat reasonable. I mean I can use real chocolate or do the exact same thing with almond bark.

If I was a designer chocolatier, this would be a different story.
I'm a cake designer so almond bark is my friend.

I make sure the corn syrup and the candy melts/chocolate/almond bark whatever is used are about the same temperature. Melt choco substance separate. I stir it together in a large pyrex measure cup.

Because of course if you mix cold corn syrup into warm melty choc it causes issues.

Let it get room temp--let it cool off. Viola la la.

littlecake Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:57am
post #16 of 16

"Because of course if you mix cold corn syrup into warm melty choc it causes issues. "

DUH...this is what went wrong....i'm still learning, thanks K8.

almond bark is so sturdy for molding toys and baby shoes and stuff....i love it!

i bought about 30 molds for all kinds of applications....the customers LOVE IT!...and it's so fast.

looking forward to doing it the right way this time......YAY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%