Prices, Am I Cheating Her?

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 3:26am by LaBellaFlor

2txmedics Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:13am
post #1 of 10

Ok, knew it would happen. Its in the family, not. This woman is related to my soon to be daug. in law. Not a good person. She knew I made cakes on the side, I made her future hubbys for his bday for free (I was just starting out). When it came time for her wedding, she went and got a 4 tier wedding cake and paid 800.00 for a simple design. I would have done it for less.

Well today out of the blue she calls me, needs 4 cakes for this sunday, custom cakes. She called the woman who made her wedding cake today, guess she couldnt do it on short notice?...anywho...she tells me she needs these cakes to each at least feed 15 people each.
1 Football cake
1 Jersey shirt cake
1 Zebra 2tier cake, pink,black, white
1 Zebra 2iter cake turq., black,white
I was nice, and said ok. forfiet the rush fee, this time as I needed the money. Told her Do them all for 260.00, but they will be small as its short notice and you need all custom cakes. She balked, said it was too much would call me back. I said if you call tomm. (friday)...then I have to tack on a rush fee.
WAS I WRONG IN THIS PRICING? I dont believe so, I think I did manage to give her a deal for such short notice and for what she wanted...basically 6 cakes.

9 replies
MamaMayhem Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:34am
post #2 of 10

I'm no pro so no advice here. But I suspect she called you in hopes to get the cakes for (almost) free. And I have to wonder if the other lady really couldn't do it or if she was also "too expensive"...icon_rolleyes.gif

xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 10

I don't sell cakes yet but I don't think that asking for $4+ for a serving is anywhere near overpriced especially considering it is a last minute order and not just one cake but 4 customized ones. Personally I wouldn't budge on the price, if you do it now she'll think you will always do it. Stick to your guns; you were giving her a discount already by not charging a rush fee, so if she does call back tomorrow make sure you add it in. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:42am
post #4 of 10

Have you ever heard of the phrase "No good dead goes unpunished"? Well sweet lady that is you! Please don't be offend, but it seems more & more that people allow them selves taken advantage of. So they sound like two carved cakes (NO LESS then $5.00 a serving, and I ain't bothering to try no carved cake for less then a minimum of $150, I don't care what size or servings it is) and it sounds like two & 2 fondant DESIGNER tiered cakes (uh, fondant STATS at $4.00 a serving for me & designer Zebra pattern with custom colors makes that $4 go up to $5.50). And last minute rush order gets another $50 fee, which is generous considering the size of the order. I get a price tag of $515 dollars. So, in short icon_wink.gif , I don't think you were wrong at all. I say don't do the order, cause I think you will regret it, cause you will reflect & look back at how you were taken advantage of and be REALLY MAD AT YOURSELF. And obviously, she doesn't appreciate you anyway.

step0nmi Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:43am
post #5 of 10

I'm sorry...$260.00??? you are cheating yourself girl!!! BIG TIME! a lot of those cakes you just mentioned seem like a lot of work! A jersey cake I have done...I think I would've done that one for at least $100 (in fondant, and I did mine for my husband). I've done a zebra striped cake and I have done a two tiered one that served WAY MORE than 15 people and that was $140.(unless you meant 2 layers on this one?) So, right there you almost have your $260.

what did she were a magician? did she take your offer?

if you decide to do 4 cakes on such short notice I would've added a $100 rush fee...that is just crazy.

baycheeks1 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:45am
post #6 of 10

I think that was ok. She shouldn't have called last minute if knew she needed it this weekend! I dont like when people call you sooo last minite...Urks the heck outta me! There are others on this site that said they wouldnt have done it and then others that would say you should have charged I think it was a good choice and if she wants them that bad she will pay!

pipe-dreams Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #7 of 10

The nerve of some people. I would have charged more than that. I don't charge a ton for my 3D cakes, since I am basically trying to build my portfolio right now. But that's like $65-ish per cake. Not including the fact that you only have 2 days to do ALL that work. You would almost literally have to work the next few days straight. I definitely think you were fair priced, even under priced. She shouldn't get a special price just because she is a future in law. Good job for not cutting her a break. All it takes is a one time break for people to assume they will always have that benefit.

apetricek Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:57am
post #8 of 10

stick to you guns....don't budge on the price!!!!!!. My mom said NEVER lower your prices! People tend to think because they know you that they get the "special" discount. Although the way I see it is that you don't discount your materials or your time, so the cake shouldn't be that way either. I honestly HATE doing cakes for friends, family, etc...cause I always run into this problem. I think you were being more than generous with your cake price. Oh well her loss if she doesn't do it. I am sure she won't get cakes as good, on such short notice anyway.

2txmedics Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 10

Ok, will its Saturday, the party is tomm. and as you guess it, this woman didnt call back. Im thinking she was was "thinking" she knows me so she can get the cakes real a custom cake for 25.00 or something.
She about choked when I gave her the price of 260.00 which I thought was more than generous. I did recently meet a CC in person, she also said be firm. And as much as I would have loved the extra money, and practice and to add to my album...I stayed firm. NO CALL BACK. Oh well, I feel real good about this. I wont let them take advantage of my talents, what little I have, for now.
I found out that zebra cake, the local cake shop charges 175.00 and a rush order, but the woman wouldnt do it on that short of a notice.

Bet she ended up with Walmart ALL FOR PUSHING ME AND HOLDING ME TO STAND

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #10 of 10

I'm am so proud of you & so ahppy for you too!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Talk about dodging a bullet! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%