Renting Kitchen Questions

Business By notjustcake Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 10:22pm by jewelykaye

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:17am
post #1 of 6

Hi ladies, after some time looking for a kitchen to rental, I think I finally found one. It is a bakery that only sales sugar decorated cookies, closes in the afternoon, so I should be able to use in the evening time. Anyhow some issues and questions I need to bring up before getting into this, first the fact that she mentioned thinking of selling it, what if she does? is it worth taking a chance?
How do I order my supplies? through her or my own? I may not have enough business to do so...
Do my customers pick up my cakes with her while her shop is open this worries me because my clients may have question they may not know how to asnwer and basically her employees might seem like they are working for me with no pay, I want to become licensed so I can market my self, advertise and attend bridal shows and basically make some good money the old fashion way. Legal.
The food hadler's class is $140 I do not want to get into this if it will be too much trouble or raise problem so I want to discuss any isssues possible and come to an agreement with these folks, I offered to pay a % of my sales in exchange for me using their kitchen, she also told me many people that buy her cookies come in looking for cakes and she has to turn them away, I dropped off two 5" cakes and they loved them!!!! She is willing to pass referals and I promised I will not sale cookies and referred them to her instead (her cookies are awesome)

Seems like I have thought of the major issues but I'm hoping you share your story and any problems you encountered while renting a kitchen or anything I haven't thought about. Thanks

5 replies
jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 6

I definitely think it is worth taking a chance. I mean the worse that can happen is she closes and you no longer have a commercial kitchen and you have to find another one. I do think that needs to be something within the contract you guys draft up. Something about if she closes up she has to allow you enough time to finish up the cakes you have on contract (within reason).

When I was renting a kitchen I pretty much purchased my own items from local cake shops but when I just need one cake board or something like that I would purchase it from the lady I was renting from. You will just have to discuss that from her. If she is doing cookies I would think she isn't going to have a lot of the stuff you are going to need for your cakes.

I would only have customers pick up when you are going to be there. It is your business and like you said these other people do not work for you so they have no interest in your business. You might want to take to your potential landlord about how she feels about customers picking up during her business hours and about you being there.

I think a % of your sales is a wonderful way to go, for you. She won't be making much money on this but she's an adult and can think for herself.

My best advice I can say is to make sure you get a contract drawn up on all the terms you guys discuss, no matter if she is a friendly lady or not. I was renting from someone and we had a great working arrangement at first but I also think we both went in with some assumptions. Long story short is it exploded and we no longer talk and I'm very sad about that. So just make sure you get a contract so all expectations are written down.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help. And good luck this is a fun, nervous and exciting time!!!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you by the way I'm visiting family in Baytown this week! How funny you are from Houston! Thank you so much if you don't mind I pm you more questions

jewelykaye Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 6

I don't mind PMs at all. I would love to help as much as I can!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 6

I just left a voice mail with a women who has an ad to rent out her kitchen- panic time. I need space that is legal and practice-practice is important and I have not had any peace at home to do this. I feel like an artist without a studio.

Does this make sense? I think it will be worth it...

jewelykaye Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

I just left a voice mail with a women who has an ad to rent out her kitchen- panic time. I need space that is legal and practice-practice is important and I have not had any peace at home to do this. I feel like an artist without a studio.

Does this make sense? I think it will be worth it...

Of course it's worth it! If you are passionate about this. You need to spend time with your art. icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%