What Do I Do With A Fondant Cake With Mousse Filling?

Decorating By shannonlovebug Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 9:01pm by KoryAK

shannonlovebug Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 5

I have to make it the day before so do I refrigerate it or leave it out? Is there something I can add to the whipped cream to stabilize it? What does everyone else do in this situation?

4 replies
SHogg Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 5

There are probably more people on here who can tell you the science behind it but I personally won't do a mousse filling in a fondant cake. I always leave my fondant cakes out so I won't take the risk with mousse. Also I find the mousse to be not stable enough for the weight of the fondant. I'm sorry I couldn't help you more!

Cakepro Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 5

You put it in the fridge so you don't give the people eating the cake food poisoning from a perishable filling being left out. icon_smile.gif

With a super-stiff dam of buttercream icing, you can use mousse as filling. I do it with cookies 'n cream mousse in chocolate cakes. icon_smile.gif

majka_ze Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 5

You can add gelatine to the whipped cream, it stabilizes it. I second Cakepro - you need buttercream dam and refrigerate - not only to hold the weight, but because some fondant sweets from the mouse. Some fondant doesn't like mouse filling - to be on the careful side - don't let touch the fondant the mouse directly. Peek in the fridge after 1/2 hour or so - sometimes you need to crank it on full to stop the fondant sweeting.

KoryAK Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 5

Fridge the fondant. I do it all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%