Need Red Now Fast

Decorating By Deborah1152 Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 9:30pm by Cakepro

Deborah1152 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 14

I am making a Superman cake & need RED.I have used Christmas & Red-red with bc & get pinks its only a small bottle do I use most or all. icon_cry.gif

13 replies
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 14

Start with coloring your icing orange then add your red-red.
Red, navy blue, black and brown are colors that need to be made ahead of time so the color has time to 'mature'. One needs to plan ahead......make it at least the night before needing.
Sorry, It's not something that can be done on demand....like NOW icon_sad.gif

Cakepro Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 14

Get yourself a big bottle of Americolor Super Red and sock the red color to it.

You most certainly get red NOW using the correct product, as you can with any color - including the dark colors. icon_smile.gif

LOL, if I had to wait overnight for icing colors to develop, I'd be screwed. Thankfully, that's not how it is.

tiggy2 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 14

If you use too much coloring your BC will taste bitter. It wont help you now for for future reference get some chefmaster liqua gel color and you will get red or black instantly using very little color. The catsup on my hamburger was made 5 minutes before I used it.

nonnyscakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 14

I have the Americolor Black and still have to wait for the color to mature. Red Red, not so much, but I do with the Black. Any ideas?

tiggy2 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees_luv

I have the Americolor Black and still have to wait for the color to mature. Red Red, not so much, but I do with the Black. Any ideas?

Chefmaster Liqua Gel

majka_ze Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 14

For black: Make chocolate buttercream, if it works with your cake - simply add the darkest cocoa you can find instead of some sugar - you will start with dark brown or even "blackish" color and you won't need to add so much black coloring. The same with fondant.

auntbeesbaking Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 14

I often find myself in this situatioin and this is what I do (in fact, I do this whenever I need red):

I open up my "reds" one at a time and add it to the frosting.
Red - Red, No Taste Red, Holiday Red, Chinese Red, Flaming Red, Tulip Red, Standard Red and Candy Red.

I add some of each one until I get what I want.

Because it can taste bitter, I add a little clear corn syrup. In fact, whenever I do dark colors, (i.e. black, forest green, etc.) I do this.

I hope this helps!

auntbeesbaking Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 14

If you look under my photos, you can see the Detroit Pistons basketball cake I did. It has red on it and I did that red right before the picture was taken. I hope that helps!

kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 14

It's true that AmeriColor and/or ChefMaster are better colorings but I answered based on the info she gave in her post.......she had Christmas and Red-red......both Wilton colors. She needed a way to get her color w/o having to go shopping - on-line - the only way to get AmeriColor or ChefMaster colors.

tiggy2 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 14

I get chefmaster locally, but I know that isn't possible for everyone. That's why I said "it wont help you now".

Deborah1152 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks for the help on red. I tries it and it worked hope it gets brighter by tomorrow. How do you keep the crisco from seperiting in the bag & showing white. I beat the bc & all together. used store brand instead of crisco??

kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 14

Are you sure that store brand is *all vegetable* shortening? Check the label. The only other thing I can think of is way over beating it would make it separate.

Cakepro Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah1152

Thanks for the help on red. I tries it and it worked hope it gets brighter by tomorrow. How do you keep the crisco from seperiting in the bag & showing white. I beat the bc & all together. used store brand instead of crisco??

That's just a classic sign that your icing is too thin. Add a tablespoon or two of cornstarch and it will bind up the excess liquid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%