Bad Powdered Sugar?

Decorating By Larrimore Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm by Larrimore

Larrimore Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 13

Not sure where to post this but last night I was making buttercream icing for my DD birthday cake. The first batch of icing I made was from the bag I opened on Monday to make MMF (which did not turn out right). When I added the last cup or so of PS the stuff in the bowl crumbled. I added the milk the recipe called for and then added more milk and more milk. Tasted the icing, YUCK. Thinking my taste buds were off, had DH to taste icing, (stupid huh, after the post I Almost Poisoned Them). He said it was nasty.
I had another bag in the cabinet so I made another batch of icing. Same thing happened. So, I tasted the PS and it DID NOT taste like PS. It was not sweet at all.
I did call the place where I purchased the PS and spoke with the manager. After I convinced him it did not taste like PS he told me he would pull them off the shelf.
Do I need to do anything else?

12 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 13

Yes, call the FDA and ask them if there have been any recalls of powdered sugar, and if not, report the problems you had. With all the problems we have seen from lead and melamine coming from China, there's all reason to worry.

They will probably ask if you still have any of it, as it would have to be tested.

Oh, and just because the manager says he's pulling the product off the shelves, doesn't mean that he will.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 13

Could it have absorbed odor from something else in your cabinet? Someone posted this week about her PS tasting like dryer sheets because they were stored near each other. Just throwing out a possibility.

7yyrt Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 13

I wonder if your bags had more filler like extra corn starch added. Perhaps the manufacturer is adding more to keep the price down?

I have noticed (among others) that Nestle Quik isn't the same as it used to be, not as sweet or chocolaty. They are adding more filler to it lately.

Larrimore Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 13

"Oh, and just because the manager says he's pulling the product off the shelves, doesn't mean that he will. "

Yeah, that is what I was worried about. I spoke with someone this morning who also uses the same brand and she is going to the store today and will look to see if the bags were pulled.

jammjenks...No I don't think so...if it had absorbed other odors, would it have lost all the sweet taste?

7yyrt, I used this same brand last month for my anniversary cake and did not have any problems

Deb_ Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 13

just curious.........What brand was it?

Hey don't sweat it.........I wouldn't have stopped at my DH tasting it, I would have made my 2 kids taste it too.

Larrimore Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

just curious.........What brand was it?

Hey don't sweat it.........I wouldn't have stopped at my DH tasting it, I would have made my 2 kids taste it too.

it was wal-mart great value 2 lb bags. and was still on the shelf yesterday afternoon according to a friend that looked for me while she was there.

lol...my kid was in her room so she got out of the "hey, taste this and see if something is wrong with it"

Kitagrl Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:57am
post #8 of 13

Haven't had a problem with that sugar but I do have a problem with name brand Crisco tasting like chemicals....

I only use generic shortening.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 1:11am
post #9 of 13

I have 3 bags of this in my pantry. Bought it today... Luckily, mine tastes fine. I opened one bag just to check it out, and even compared the flavor to another open bag (different brand) I have open.

You had me worried there for a minute.

SimplySensational Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:51am
post #10 of 13

I also hae had problems with Wal-mart Great Value PS. It doesn't taste right and it smells funky. I was too lazy to drive a few extra blocks to the grocery store. I normally only use the C&H and never have a problem.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:18am
post #11 of 13

I got my PS from Sam's. Their Bakers and Chefs brand. Tasted fine to me, and my fave thing about it, it comes in a seven pound RESEALABLE bag. Love those little details.

CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:21am
post #12 of 13

I bought a massive amount of PS from Wal-Mart and all the frosting I made with it tasted odd.....sort of a cool feeling in the mouth and a slightly "off" after taste. I am taking it all back. I have no clue if it was because of the brand or what but I was sick of it.

Guess I'll stick to C & H.

Larrimore Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 13

I did file a complaint with the FDA just in case...however, they did not want a sample of the sugar and told me to return it to wal-mart for a refund. Maybe they will just check with the lot number that was on the bag?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%