What Is Color Flo?

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 1:40am by PuffMamaT

Kerry_Kake Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I've seen this on some cakes here and it looks very smooth. What exactly is it and how do I do it? To make characters and what not.
I did read on one article that it is royal icing. So I'm kind of guessing that you make it runny enough for it to go smooth. But, how do you do 2 different colors, like I said to make a character or design?
I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out and as I'm sitting here I'm thinking to outline what ever it is you want (ex. Dora). Let the outlines dry, then use a color and do her shirt and another for her pants and so on.

How far am I off?? Is there a post on here somewhere that I missed on a how to?

8 replies
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 9

ColorFlo is a Wilton technique of using thinned royal icing to flood an outline of a figure. Yes, you 1st outline with full strength RI, then flood.
It is also referred to as flood work or run sugar - done a bit differently but basically the same thing icon_smile.gif

CakeMommy3 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 9

Everything you want to know. I love colorflow!!

Cakepro Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 9

Color Flow is simply a copyrighted name owned by Wilton. They call their dessicated egg white powder "Color Flow" and that is also what they call the age-old technique of floodwork or sugar run-ins.

You may use Royal Icing made either with meringue powder or fresh egg whites in place of the Wilton Color Flow powder/icing, as the technique is exactly the same, regardless of what icing you are using.

If you check out the Cookies forum, the lovely decorated cookies are done using the Color Flow technique and (sometimes flavored) royal icing.

Great link, CakeMommy!

Kerry_Kake Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much everyone. I may have to try this technique. I would like to try to do characters to place on the side of stacked cakes. Would this work? I will have to try it with royal icing with meringue powder as I would have to order the wilton color flow mix online.
Thanks for the link,

Cakepro Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 9

Sure, that'll work perfectly. Happy piping!

playingwithsugar Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 9

ColorFlo is the brand name of the Wilton product used for the technique. The actual technique name is run sugar or flow sugar, and is several decades, if not centuries, old.
It was very popular for lettering during the Victorian Era.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kerry_Kake Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:00am
post #8 of 9

Oh, ya, that would be a cool way to make letters or numbers.
Thanks thumbs_up.gif

PuffMamaT Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #9 of 9

Love the idea to use it for lettering. My writing is horrendous, unless I am tracing it. I'm going to try printing out what I want to write, in the font that I want, and put a piece of waxed paper over it. Then trace with the RI. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%