I Need Help With The Reverse Shell Border, Please!

Decorating By dhccster Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 11:40am by brandywinecakes

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 8

I just love the reverse shell border. I admire you all that can do it. I have tried it before and I am just not good at it. If anyone has any tips or suggestions to help me, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I searched youtube and I couldn't find any videos.

7 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 8

I too love this border, but not sure if i can help. The only thing i would say is practice and when you start out if you go slow it never works for me. I always go pretty fast and concentrate, i tell myself go right then left, right, left. After awhile it comes easy. Sorry, if i am not much help.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 8

Can you make a comma or quote mark?
The swirl goes to the right with a tail then swirl to the left covering part of the tail of the previous 'shell'.
Just keep doing right, left, right, left, right..........
Hope that helps.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 8

I had trouble with those too, and then I took a class from a lady who had been decorating for 40 (!) years. I started by piping a regular shell, and when it had built up almost all the way, she reached over and moved my bag over to the left, and down, without lifting the tip at all. It's kinda hard to describe, but my hand got the "feel" of it when she did that. It was such a small movement. I think I had been lifting the tip and moving it too much. HTH

dhccster Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you all so much. I am going to practice, practice, practice this on a cake board tomorrow. Thanks again for your suggestions!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 8
dhccster Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:13am
post #7 of 8

Thank you serious_cakes for posting the youtube video. The right, left, right, left makes a lot more sense! I am ready to give this a try.

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:40am
post #8 of 8

hsterling, I, too, have never been able to master the reverse shell - and I think it's so pretty. You have me inspired to practice this weekend, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%