Make A Tiered Hatbox Cake?

Decorating By cms2 Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm by bakingatthebeach

cms2 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a two tiered hatbox cake for a baby shower next month. (12" & 8" rounds) I just watched Sugarshacks DVD on boxes yesterday and am still not sure what to do. I would like to do some kind of box lid that could be removed from the cake before serving. I'd like to avoid having guests pick off fondant or gumpaste from their cake. I know the look can be acheived with all buttercream, but I'm doing impressions on the sides, so I don't think or know how I can create the look of a buttercream lid as well. I am racking my brains here, and the only thing I can think of is to get actual cardboard hatbox lids and cover with fondant. Or try to make removable gumpaste lids. The second obstacle is how to set up the supports for the second tier. I'm thinking the bottom tiers lid will have to sit over the dowels and then the top tier will sit on the lid. Would this cause a gumpast lid to crack?

This is really out of my area of expertise as I'm pretty much a buttercream only decorator. Any help or words of wisdom would be so appreciated. Thanks!

2 replies
CakeMommy3 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 3

Lol I have no idea! BUMP

bakingatthebeach Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 3

I just did a hat box cake. I dont know if I did it right or not but I took a cake circle the size of the cake and rolled out gumpaste, placed it on the circle and used a pizza cutter to cut around. It didnt need anything to hold it on, just pressed it onto the board and it dried onto it.
Then I took a strip of gumpast that I cut, greased the outside of the cake pan that was used to make the cake, and wrapped the strip around and let it dry overnight, then it slid right off the pan because of the crisco.
The circle that I made then fit right into the round strip and I used royal icing on the inside and outside of the seam and smoothed it with my finger to "glue" the two together and let it dry.
I then stenciled it with buttercream and used gumpaste pearls around the top seam. I will try to post of pic of it for you.
It worked really well and fit perfect on top of the cake, although I covered the cake in MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%