2 Toned Swirl

Decorating By morgansmommy Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm by JessDesserts

morgansmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgansmommy Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 21

Hello!! Does anyone know how to do this? I mean how do you put the icing in your bag for it to come out in 2 different colors? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks! [email protected] icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 21

well I have never done it before, but I believe you can either fill one side of your bag with one colored icing, and the other half with another colored icing, or you can paint colored stripes on the inside of your bag, then fill the bag with your icing and when you pipe it out, it should come out two toned. I hope someone else chimes in and helps you out better!

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 21

Are you talking about this? It explains how the bag works. I've tried it on cupcakes for two tone. http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=529&SubCatId=1208&productId=633445

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 21

I've done this before...

I'll take a large bag (16") and use two disposable bags inside one of each color, with the tip snipped so it flows out of the larger bag. icon_wink.gif

HTH

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 21

I've done this but combined the colors in one bag....LOVE the idea of just inserting two bags in the 16"...GREAT IDEA!! Thanks Atomikjen!!!

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 21

I have to admit I've seen it someplace before... can't remember where... can't take the credit icon_wink.gif

It's relative to the tip on using plastic wrap inside bags for easy clean up. =D

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 21

like this?

( apparently it did work the first time, oops!)
LL
LL

ddaigle Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 21

Jess...LOVE that effect!!! We do a lot of purple & gold here in Baton Rouge, so I combine those two colors often. Jess...how did you get the wide white vs. the thin red effect?

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 21

Wow ~ that's pretty neat! Thanks for sharing!

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 21

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try this.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:49pm
post #11 of 21

Serious_cakes shows how she does it in one her youtube videos, I think it was the one called pharmacy cake, but I'm not sure. Here's the link to it! HTH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brvr7Fr_L-c&feature=channel

ddaigle Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 21

Thanks for the link Gerri...I watched Serious' video (as I try to watch them all). She combines both colors into one bag, as I am used to doing. I anxious to try Jess's technique.

morgansmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgansmommy Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:58am
post #13 of 21

THANK ALL OF YOU GUYS ON HOW TO MAKE THE 2 TONED SWIRL ICING!!! YA'LL ARE A GREAT HELP!!! icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:15am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomikjen

I have to admit I've seen it someplace before... can't remember where... can't take the credit icon_wink.gif

It's relative to the tip on using plastic wrap inside bags for easy clean up. =D

Here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588591.html

icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:55am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

well I have never done it before, but I believe you can either fill one side of your bag with one colored icing, and the other half with another colored icing,

THat's what I did on these cupcakes. I use the really big bags and the large tip. SUPER easy! (since I use disposable bags, clean up is just a snip to get the tip out and then trash the bag!)
LL

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:49am
post #16 of 21

Jess , I too would like to know how you got the red stripe so thin on the candy cane cupcakes. Very neat! I have only done the 2 tone look like indydebi showed. I love that look. Will have to try the 2 bags inside a bigger one, that sounds easier!

JessDesserts Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:26pm
post #17 of 21

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the love for my striped cuppies. Truthfully, I'm pretty proud pf them.

I will try to post a tutorial as soon as I find the time to make one!

Its sooooooooooooooooo easy.

Take a pastry bag, already fitted with the tip you want to use and 'paint' stripes down the entire bag; from the tip to as high as you can before the point you are going to twist it. The 'paint' I used was Wilton color gel, with a regular brush I use for decorating. Depending on how bright or vibrant you want the stripes, depends on how many times you go over the stripes.

Then GENTLY 'plop' ( yes, thats the technical term) the frosting in the bag and gently squeeze to the bottom.

It might take a light squeeze to get the stripes evenly, but be patient.

This was the first time I did it, and as you can see, its as pretty as can be and ...........super easy.

If anyone has any questions or if I can clarify anything, please let me know. I am more then happy to help!

Good luck!

Jess icon_razz.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #18 of 21

Jess thanks for the tutorial and I can see why your so proud of your cc. They look great! thumbs_up.gif

JessDesserts Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:43pm
post #19 of 21

thanks xstitcher!

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #20 of 21

Thanks so much Jess! I will have to give that a try, my little one loves candy canes and peppermint sticks year round. Would be wonderful on cupcakes with peppermint icing. Thanks again!

JessDesserts Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #21 of 21

I'd love to see a pic if you make them.

If I recall correctly, my cuppies were choc cake with white choc ganache filling with candy cane pieces and peppermint buttercream.

They were scrumptious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%