"tasting" Cake

Decorating By KookieKris Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 5:43pm by jammjenks

KookieKris Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 2

I have had quite a few requests for a cake tasting. I've never really had them before so this is all new to me.
I was wondering how long cakes can be frozen. If I make a batch for one small cake for the tasting, can I make a bunch of small ones and freeze them for the next time so it's not a waste of batter?
Also, how do you decorate your cakes for tastings. Anything special to make your cake stand out or just simple frosting?
Any other tips on tastings would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
jammjenks Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 2

When I have a tasting coming up, I reserve about 1 cup of batter from whatever I'm making and bake a 4" cake with it. Some make a cupcake. I then cut the 4" cake into 6 wedges and squirt a swirl of icing on the top. I provide 3 wedges on a plate with a scoop of filling in the center of the plate. The other left-over wedges get wrapped in plastic wrap then put in a ziplock bag and frozen. They don't choose flavors.

It is really just a chance for them to see if they like how you bake. A two bite piece of whatever flavor should be enough to sample.

I also provide them with a bottled water, fork, and napkin. I leave it with them to eat and I leave the room. Once I come back we talk about the specifics of what they want.

Most of my customers order with me over the phone but schedule a tasting so they can choose flavors.

Do a forum search for "tastings" and you'll find LOADS of great information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%