First Wilton Course. Lots Of Questions.

Decorating By GinnyThePainter Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm by Cakepro

GinnyThePainter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinnyThePainter Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:41am
post #1 of 9

Tomorrow is class #3 of my first wilton course. Last time the instructor said my frosting was too feathery, but she didn't give me any suggestions on how to make it more smooth. So, what do I need to do?

Also, how can I improve the taste of the wilton class buttercream frosting? We're not supposed to use butter or milk.

I'm frustrated with this class because the teacher is incredibly laid back and doesn't seem to have high standards for technique. She's already pegged me as type A (not really true) and seems to be rolling her eyes every time I ask a question. And to be honest, I've seen her portfolio and it wasn't all that impressive, esp. compared to some of the beautiful work done by members of this site.

I like to do things well, and so far, I think my borders and shapes are kind of anemic. My roses look like cabbages. I don't need to be told I'm doing awesome when i'm not - it's insulting.

Are all the wilton classes like this? Am I better off taking a class at a comm. college? I'd like to actually learn something.

8 replies
luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #2 of 9

IMO it depends on the WMI you get. I am currently taking 4 Wilton classes at once, as I decided it was finally time to get serious and I now have the time to devote to learning advanced techniques.

I have 1 instructor i'm not too hot about. the other one I LOVE. She teaches straight WM, but mixes up the lessons, doesn't go straight by-the-book, kwim?

To make your Wilton BC better, how long are you mixing it for? 15 minutes? I do and it helps the texture. To improve the taste, I don't use vanilla, I use almond and butter flavors. Light on the almond. HTH

ETA: I use generic shortening that has trans-fat. apparently the lack of transfats in Crisco has a negative effect on the frosting texture. I do not know if this is true as I cannot even remember the last time I used Crisco

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:07am
post #3 of 9

Most common problem with wilton 's butter cream is that students donot beat it for the recomemded time .Beat your butter cream for atleast 7 to 8 min If you are making your butter cream with crissco ,try adding a table spoon of oil or donot add Meringue Powder it makes the icing very dry and you get jaggered edges to all you piping and roses.
Hope this helps.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:07am
post #4 of 9

I'm sorry I can't be of any help with your questions, but I must say....Your artwork is amazing! You do such beautiful portraits. I suggest to everyone reading this to check out your website. You have a true talent that I am sure will find it's way onto the canvas of cake. Best of luck to you.

Cris

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:23am
post #5 of 9

I just finished course two my WI is not by the book she explians it the Wilton way then she shows us her way and lets us choose which we think will work best for us. I think maybe you need to search out a different teacher.
BTW your paintings take my breath away WOW icon_eek.gif You have talent I can only wish for.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:44am
post #6 of 9

I agree that it depends on the instructor! I didn't use the class butter cream recipe after my second class, I tried 2 different ones for classes 3 and 4 and now use the same one that I was so happy with in class 4! I don't use meringue powder, I do use milk.

I beat my icings for about 10 minutes but let them "settle" for a couple hours to help with any air bubbles...

It sounds like your instructor isn't the greatest, but please try to get the most out of the course as you can, and be sure to add pics of your cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 9

As a former WMI I suggest you use a recipe to your liking - sub butter in for about 1/2 the Crisco and use milk for the liquid - to ice your cake so it tastes good BUT........use the class recipe for all work done in class. And yes, beating the icing longer will yield better results. You almost cannot over beat iticon_smile.gif Oh, and do you add salt? It does help a bit to cut the sweetness that many object to. Meringue powder is not needed.......it's just a Wilton way of selling product.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 9

I understand the 'cabbagy-looking rose' thing is caused by not holding the tip vertical enough. You probably have it too slanted.

The not smooth enough... After icing, let it crust for 10 minutes or so and pat it gently with some paper product under your hand. Some use Viva paper towels, others parchment or computer paper. A foam roller like the Melvira Method uses is popular, as well.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 9

It sounds like your icing is too stiff....one of the reasons why I deplore the Wilton Class Buttercream recipe.

Beating your buttercream icing for 7+ minutes will result in airy icing which is a PITA! Bubbles do not settle out of buttercream icing...if they did, you would see lots of holes on the surface of the icing where bubbles moved up to the surface and popped. Bubbles stay right where they are in buttercream and we do not want air bubbles in buttercream unless you are specifically making a whipped buttercream.

DO NOT overbeat your icing. Here is the recipe I have given to my Wilton students for the past 11 years: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7378-3-Cakepros-Buttercream-with-Trans-Fat-Free-Crisco.html Try it and see if you like it better. There are lots of instructions provided with the recipe.

I'm sorry you are not being provided with high quality instruction. Nobody should ever roll their eyes at you...that's just rude. Unfortunately, the quality of Wilton instructors varies greatly. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%