Mmf Sticky Question.

Decorating By Creative_chika Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 5:10am by dhccster

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:42am
post #1 of 8

I''ve worked with MMF before, today I used a MMF that I had in the refridgerator and after cloring the MMF I tried to roll it out and it was so sticky I coulnd't work with it. Í'm not sure what I did wrong... Any help? icon_sad.gif

7 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 8

Don't keep it in the fridge, just wrap it really good and leave it out, it'll be fine for weeks and weeks. The condensation makes it moist and it'll get sticky. You should be able to knead in more PS to bring it back to a workable material.

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks.

ajarvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajarvis Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:00am
post #4 of 8

I'm so glad you posted this. I was actually just going to ask about keeping MMF in the freezer/fridge. I'm starting to plan my "Welcome to the World" (post-birth baby shower) cake for next month, and have never used MMF before, but I bought all the stuff and am ready to start practicing. Should I just wrap in in plastic seran wrap? Ziplock bag? or tupperware? Any advice would be appreciated! I'm a newbie! icon_smile.gif Thanks ahead of time!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #5 of 8

ajarvis,
All of the above!
Wrap in Saran, then put it in a ziploc, then an airtight container for longer periods of storage. If you're pre-coloring it, keep it out of bright light as it will fade the color over time.
HTH! icon_smile.gif

ajarvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajarvis Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:48am
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much! I'm excited to start practicing!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #7 of 8

Ok. I gotta tell you. I just did a ribbon today, and only left the ribbon in the room, put the cake with the other fondant in the fridge, and the ribbon, after 4 hours, is lighter in color than the rest of the fondant. Just an FYI.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:10am
post #8 of 8

I finally made MMF for the first time this week. I was so surprised when it turned out good. I haven't done anything with it yet, I am going to practice making the bow today. I did try a piece of it yesterday and it was sticky. Thanks chilz822 for the tip of kneading more ps in it. I am going to do that today and HOPEFULLY be able to make the bow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%