Silver Coloring

Decorating By MyDiwa Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm by sadsmile

MyDiwa Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:04am
post #1 of 5

I need to make a cake that has silver in it. The base will be covered in white fondant with silver embossing on the edges. I have patchwork cutters that I would normally press into a pad filled with food coloring and then stamp the fondant. But since the color is silver, I dont know how to do that.

Then there is also a wavy band going around the side of the cake, also in silver. I would like for the 2 shades of silver to match and I just really dont know how I would get those colors in. I had thought of using silver dust and painting, but that tends to rub off after it dries and it doesnt get a nice silver color, it's more of a sheen.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

4 replies
brincess_b Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 5

id say try a different silver lustre dust - the one i have is definatly silver. if you only get a sheen it sounds ike a pearlised silver?
xx

CakeMommy3 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 5

The cake supply store near my house sells something called highlighter, and it comes in silver and gold. The lady said it was different than luster dust, and was way more silver, but I have never used it.

FairyPoppins Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 5

I use a very fine powder mixed with vanilla vodka made by CK products. I used it on the fire truck and the western cakes in my photos. However it does state that it is for use on non-edible items (not sure why they sell it at the cake supply store then!)

sadsmile Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 5

I used silver highlighter but I didn't get the crome look I have wanted on my last cake. It was shiny but sort of on the dull side. I found out later that if you paint it on after mixing it with everclear gain alcohol it dries fast and leaves a shiney coating of the dust in just the right way. something about how the alcohol suspends the powder gives it the crome look. I have also seen it suggested that you mix with oil and paint it on but that it won't really dry so you have to be super carefull.

I wanna go experiment now...LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%