Vanilla Substitutes In Frosting?

Decorating By GenGen Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 4:15am by GenGen

GenGen Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:10am
post #1 of 8

the town i live in does not sell clear vanilla and yes i know ican sub lemon almond etc for it I'd rather not as i don't know how well it would go over. instead i picked up a bottle of white chocolate coffee syrup (the kind they use for latte's and cappuccino's) i was wondering if this would be an ok substitute? it tastes heavenly icon_smile.gif

7 replies
fuzzykoala22 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:17am
post #2 of 8

I say go for it. The flavor may not be as intense as say, a teaspoon of vanilla so you'd have to add more of the white chocolate syrup to get a noticeable flavor. But too much would make your frosting runny! You're right about not wanting to sub out almond or lemon extract though--it's been my experience that almond is either love or hate, with no in-betweens! Would regular vanilla not be an option, or do you need pure white? Since I use butter in my frosting it can be off-white to begin with, so I just use the brown vanilla.

JanH Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:21am
post #3 of 8

www.nationalflavors.com has a huge inventory of flavorings & extracts, etc. Didn't see a clear Vanilla online, but they just might have one (since not everything is online).

Have to call them, but it's so worth it since they sell at wholesale prices to the public.

HTH

GenGen Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:28am
post #4 of 8

yah i can pick some more uplater.. i just have to drive an hour to get a new supply though. i have to sub the vanilla out with something right now cause the cake's due saturday lol.. thanks for the input. i can always reduce the amount of milk in the buttercream and add more syrup. the white chocolate stuff is delish!

tonimarie Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:39am
post #5 of 8

Actually I love almond flavoring in icing. I usually use vanilla and almond, but have done almond only and had very good luck. just my 2 cents!

GenGen Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:58am
post #6 of 8

i've done almond in the past too and had mixed reviews which was why i stopped using it. i do like to add a bit of lemon now and then, not much just a touch and it gives it a nice fresh flavor

paddlegirl14 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:04am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzykoala22

Since I use butter in my frosting it can be off-white to begin with, so I just use the brown vanilla.

Me too!

GenGen Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #8 of 8

well i do need it as white as possible this time which was why i was worried about being able to use this product. I"m attempting the box of donuts cake by MsCheeks http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=68857 so i dont care if its snow white, just somethingthatresemblestheshadeofwhite lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%