Boo To Wilton, Making Our Pa Unemployment Rate Rise!

Decorating By Cakenicing4u Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 12:28am by bettinashoe

Cakenicing4u Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:52am
post #1 of 5

My area is already #1 in the state for % of people on unemployment, myself included. The wanted ads in the paper are LESS THAN one side of one piece of the newspaper!! Today, I see this in the online version of the newspaper-- written by Tony Lucia, not me!

Craft maker to close Reading operations
By Tony Lucia
Reading Eagle

The owner of Dimensions, the internationally renowned designer, producer and distributor of premium craft and hobby products, said Tuesday that it will close Dimensions' main location at 1801 N. 12th St. by the end of the year.

The facility employs 180.

Dimensions owner Wilton Products Inc. said 15 of those employees may be relocated to Wilton's facilities in Woodridge, Ill., and Clifton, N.J. The others will lose their jobs.

Wilton said warehousing and support functions such as information technology, accounting, human resources and customer service will be moved to Woodridge and that product development and design work will move to Clifton.

Manufacturing would be outsourced, some to other U.S. manufacturing facilities and possibly also overseas. Some of Dimensions' products are manufactured in China.

In a prepared statement, Wilton Chief Executive Richard T. Conti said the shutdown was spurred by the economy and competition.
"The current economic environment and competitive forces require us to increase efficiency and effectiveness in order to maintain the health of the overall company," Conti said.

However, Wilton spokeswoman Nancy Siler said the decision to close Dimensions might have been made regardless of the recession.

"It just makes it increasingly difficult to operate very small businesses when you have duplicate functions in other locations," Siler said.

Reading Mayor Tom McMahon said the closing was unfortunate.

"It really does add to the news we saw in the paper this morning," McMahon said, referring to a Reading Eagle report on rising unemployment in Reading. "I'm sorry to see that happen. I know ... they have to do what they need to do to survive."

Contact Tony Lucia

Will it ever end???

4 replies
TheCakerator Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 5

sorry to hear about that ... but living in Michigan nothing surprises me anymore ... times sure are tough.

Liniti Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 5

I'm sure with all the Wilton bashing that goes on around here doesn't help matters either....... shhh.gif

jillmakescakes Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 5

Just to play devil's advocate a bit-- Wilton was recently (about 2 years ago) bought from the Wilton family by another craft-type company. I imaging that the closing of this location is simply the result of the company having been bought and consolidated.

bettinashoe Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 5

That's really sad news. Unfortunately, I am sure Wilton is feeling the same economic pressures that the rest of the businesses are experiencing. If sales are down, they have to take steps to preserve their company as sad as it may be. The slow economy is affecting all of us!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%