Making Candy Clay

Decorating By TonyaBakes Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm by Pearl70

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Thought I'd share my 1st candy clay pieces.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1334504

Juleebug, you did a great job with this "cake" The egg looks so real as do the pancakes, and the bacon looks great too. Love the piece of butter on top of the pancakes. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #32 of 56

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks you all. I was really impressed with how easy the candy clay was to work with. I will definately be using it in the future.

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #33 of 56

I too fell in love with candy clay. Tasted sooooo much better than fondant or gum paste! I found it really easy to work with. If it starts to stiffen rolling in your hands brings it right back to a workable consistency. Yesterday I read some suggestions on here about the tootsie rolls and starburst and I can't wait to try those aswell, sounds like they would be really YUMMY! Especially for a kiddie cake.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:08pm
post #34 of 56

That cake was sooo cool! I especially loved the bacon, awesomeness thumbs_up.gif BTW, love your signature, got a good laugh from that one icon_lol.gif

juleebug Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #35 of 56

OMGosh. My pancakes are on the first page in the "Popular Cake Photos - Added Today" section! I NEVER thought I'd see one of mine there. Thank you all so much. icon_biggrin.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #36 of 56

Congrats!!! It does feel good, like you've arrived right? lol, back in January I actually had like 3 of mine make it, I just about hit the floor!!

juleebug Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:18pm
post #37 of 56

This probably sounds pathetic but I saved a screen shot of it! icon_biggrin.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #38 of 56

Not pathetic! Just wish I had done the same! icon_wink.gif

juleebug Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:12am
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

Congrats!!! It does feel good, like you've arrived right? lol, back in January I actually had like 3 of mine make it, I just about hit the floor!!

It felt great! Especially since I made this for my hubby who originally wanted a treasure chest but I COULD NOT find gold foil chocolate coins ANYWHERE. I worried that I had made a poor substitute because it seemed like such a simple cake.

BTW, if I ever had 3 on there, they'd be scraping me off the ceiling! icon_lol.gif

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm
post #40 of 56

I just made my first batch today,can not wait to try it. I used White Almond Bark and so far it looks like it should. Thanks to all who have posted about this subject.

Pearl70 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:33pm
post #41 of 56
Quote:

The recipe I use is good for 3 weeks, after that it's still workable but a little more crumbly and the taste is not as good.

Does this dry rock hard or will it still have a little softness to it to where you can bite into it?
How does it taste on a cookie?

Pearl70 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #42 of 56

bump...

SeriousCakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #43 of 56

It will dry hard, but not rock hard. I'm trying to think of a good comparison, it's kind of like fudge. I haven't tried it on a cookie yet but I'd like to, lol, it's on my to-do list icon_lol.gif

Pearl70 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #44 of 56

i just have to let everyone know that this stuff is the best. I always liked the MMF but I think the candy clay has it beat. I used the Almond Bark with mine and it turned out great. I will be keeping this recipe for sure. Now I need to use it on a cookie..lol.. thanks for sharing.

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:29am
post #45 of 56

Could you cover a cake with it? And if I let it site overnight, do I need to cover it with anything?

SeriousCakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:32am
post #46 of 56

I personally haven't tried covering a cake with it but I know some people have. Yeah, you can leave it out overnight without any problems.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:42am
post #47 of 56

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but have any of you tried JenniferMI's pearl clay?? That stuff is a DREAM to work with!! I'm probably her biggest fan of this recipe. It's a little different than modeling clay but basically the same thing. (Hard to explain without giving away trade secrets.) icon_lol.gif Anyway, you might consider that option too. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

tomsmom245 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:56am
post #48 of 56

I haven't heard of that before. Is it a recipe or something you buy?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:46am
post #49 of 56

It's a recipe on her "Fun with Fondant Frills" DVD. Which is my favorite fondant DVD lately too. (You couldn't tell that though, could you??) icon_lol.gif

Pearl70 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm
post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsmom245

Could you cover a cake with it? And if I let it site overnight, do I need to cover it with anything?

Hopefully someone else can answer this for us, I would like to know that also. here is a picture of my results.
LL

SeriousCakes Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #51 of 56

That is soooo cute!!! I love it! What did you brush on it?

Pearl70 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:46pm
post #52 of 56
Quote:

That is soooo cute!!! I love it! What did you brush on it?

Thank you, I used food coloring jell. Here is what I am doing with them. I have had several orders already.
LL

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:03am
post #53 of 56

Pearl70.. Just adorable !!!!

tomsmom245 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:47am
post #54 of 56

I covered a little cake in it with no problems. I LOVE this stuff!!!!!!

Pearl, that is too cute!!

Ashlee

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:02am
post #55 of 56

Pearl, that is too cute. Love your packaging!

TomsMom, how thin did you roll it to cover your cake? How hard did it get rolled thinner? I didn't try anything except figures and I loved working with it for that. My kids loved the taste and I'm sure they would love a cake covered in it. Thanks.

Pearl70 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm
post #56 of 56

Thanks to everyone for their comments,but a special "THANK YOU" to "Serious_Cakes" for sharing the how to and recipe.
This is the best to work with. I can not wait till I add it to a cookie. Has anyone tried that yet?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%