Price For 6" Cake

Business By gonzalezmm Updated 24 Aug 2005 , 1:45am by Mac

gonzalezmm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gonzalezmm Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 15

How much would I charge for a 6" round cake, double layer with strawberry filling. Buttercream transfer. How much for the smallest oval pan in the oval pan set (wilton)? Any suggestions. Would $10.00 be too much or too little?

14 replies
gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 15

How much did it cost you to make? Then multiply by 2 would be my suggestion.

gonzalezmm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gonzalezmm Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 15

I haven't made it yet. A lady where I work would like one for her son, since he has enjoyed slices of my cakes she's taken home to him. He is reading a book and would like to reward him with one of my cakes. I'm just not sure how much to charge.

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 15

I'd say that's about right.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 15

I would say between 10.00 and 12.00 would be about right especially since you are doing a filling. icon_smile.gif
traci

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 15

I live in Canada so my price may be different than yours but I charge $15 for a 6inch Double Layered and filled with basic Buttercream icing. Includes basic boarders and Buttercream flowers. It serves approx 8 people and I usually charge approx $1.50-$2.00 a serving for my basic cakes.

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 15

I think $10.00 is not nearly enough.

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 15

That's a really good question. What is the best way to get a price for a cake.??

Daniela

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 7:34pm
post #9 of 15

Besides how much it costs to make, how long will it take you to make this? If it only takes an hour, $12.00 isn't bad, but if it takes 3 hours you will make nothing for your time. Don't forget the time to clean up--it is the worst part!

I have no clue what cakes cost in Texas, but that is how I would figure it out.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 15

Here at one of the bakery's they sell a 12" icecream cake for $11.99.... I have competition with those low prices.... I made a birthday cake...10" chocolate 2 layer with MMF roses...only charged $12.00...I kind of have no choice until I'm better known for my cakes...
Wishing you a better price for your cakes and hard work..
cakegal

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 15

The way we were taught at college is work out the cost of your ingrediants. Add 10 % to cover the cost of gas/electric. The double it. This formula is for a standard cake. If you're adding anything extra such as handmade flowers ect. charge for them seperatly

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 12:59am
post #12 of 15

Thanks for the tips everyone

Daniela

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 2:45pm
post #13 of 15

I would have said $12. Since it has a BCT, I would guess you could charge $15. But if you think that's too high, then drop my prices to $10 and $12.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 15

If you were using a mix the small oval takes one mix same as an 8 inch round

a 6" round will take less batter than an 8" round BUT your cost is the same as wht do you do with the small amount of extra batter.

Your time is not really less either it is harder to frost a 6" neatly than an 8 in and again the materials saved is minimal.

I would only knock a couple of dollars off the price of your 8 inch as your time and cost will be almost the same

me I would charge $21 as I charge $25 for an 8 inch

If she complains it is smaller tell her you would be glad to include the 4 cupcakes you can make with the left over batter.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 1:45am
post #15 of 15

I live in East Texas and I charge $15.00 for a 2-layer 6" cake with buttercream frosting and filling. I add on $2.50 for fruit filling. All I can say is that once people start sampling your cakes, that hooks them. We have a bakery here that has pretty good cakes and somehow, I got their price sheet. Does that make me a cheater??? But then I really looked at their cakes and mine look better--more professional.

In fact, one year for my birthday, I told my mom and husband that all I wanted for my gift was a chocolate cake from this bakery. My mom said "Yours are better" and I told her I wasn't making my own BD cake. Well, guess what, the next year, my friend and her 12 year old son came over as I was decorating a 9" chocolate cake. She asked who that was for (alot of her friends order from me) and I told her "Mine!" Her son even helped me finish decorating it. And then we cut it. It was GOOOOOD!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%