My Friends Dont Like Fondant - Need Help

Decorating By Lovelymeets Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 12:34pm by tx_cupcake

Lovelymeets Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 23

Hi

I love baking, and people say, i bake with love and hence my cakes taste great icon_smile.gif I try my best to make them as good from outside as they taste from inside. I have a long way to go, i know icon_sad.gif

I only bake for friends and family, but since no one likes MMF (trust me i have a couple of friends allergic to marshmallows) or the Fondant that i would buy from Michaels (i used it only once and hated the taste of it) i m left with very few options when asked to elaboratly decorate the cake.

I have heard of some home made fondants tasting great, tasting like white chocolate. What are your favorite home made fondant recipes?

Would appreciate everyones response.

Thanks

22 replies
jdconcc Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 23

Hi

I think fondant is used much more over here in the UK but to be honest I only know one person who actually eats it (or maybe two but that's pushing it). Most people I know just peel it off before eating it, and treat in much the same way as the edible gum paste decorations ... only children are daft enough to try and eat those.

It's almost a compromise on detail over taste, but as long as the cake itself is delicious, it's not too bad a compromise.

On the other hand I've never tried making my own, so will keep an eye on this thread and give it a go.

Claire

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 23

I recently ordered flavored fondant form Fonderific (which should be here tomarrow) and I HOPE that it's flavor is as good as I have read. That said, I think most people simply peel it off and leave it on the plate. I will use these "candy" flavors for flowers and other embelishments but for the basic covering of a cake I think I will stick with the plain vanilla fondant and just accept that it is a fact of life when dealing with fondant.

kakeladi Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 23

You can add flavoring and melted chocolate to Wilton's fondant.
That's if you don't want to order the Fonderific

KoryAK Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 23

Satin Ice

Cakepro Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 23

I thought I was the only one who didn't like MMF!

Have you tried Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe? That and white chocolate fondant are really good. Toba Garrett also has a good recipe for chocolate fondant.

Personally, I buy and use Satin Ice because I am just way too lazy to make it. icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 23

I agree, Satin Ice fondant is very tasty......the chocolate one tastes like a big tootsie roll!

deb

kandu001 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:21am
post #8 of 23

There are other recipes for fondant, such as White Chocolate Fondant, or definitely order Satin Ice or Fondarific! Never ever ever use Wilton! It's not edible (in my opinion!)!!!!!!!!

ceshell Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:36am
post #9 of 23

I agree that Michele Foster's is much better than MMF (in order to get yourself properly confused here at CC, notice that their acronyms are nearly identical MFF/MMF.) http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607591.html . You'll see a point in that thread where dailey and some others added white chocolate to it to take it over the top.

That said, even though I always make "good" fondant, I completely don't expect people to eat the fondant, so whether or not they like the stuff is totally irrelevant to me icon_lol.gif. Put a healthy coat of BC underneath it (don't go crazy, but it doesn't have to be paper-thin) or just use the fondant for accents. To increase the frosting ratio (to replace frosting lost by peeling off fondant), I always torte my cakes and fill the outer two spots with filling but the innermost spot with icing.

MelissaRae Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:10am
post #10 of 23

I hate MMF too. So I tried a recipe for cream cheese fondant that i found on here. It tastes wonderful and is alot easier to make. The only problem I have with it is that it is really soft and it dries quickly (which is good in some cases) Another thing is I worry about refrigerating it since it is cream cheese based? The cakes I have made with it I put in the fridge after decorating them and they didn't sweat. You should give this recipe a try...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7064-Cream-Cheese-based-fondant.html

Caths_Cakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:25am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDarling

Hi

I think fondant is used much more over here in the UK but to be honest I only know one person who actually eats it (or maybe two but that's pushing it). Most people I know just peel it off before eating it, and treat in much the same way as the edible gum paste decorations ... only children are daft enough to try and eat those.

It's almost a compromise on detail over taste, but as long as the cake itself is delicious, it's not too bad a compromise.

On the other hand I've never tried making my own, so will keep an eye on this thread and give it a go.

Claire

Really? im very suprised, im from sunderland so a bit further up than you, and here people love icing, most people dont call it fondant, its ready to roll icing lol.
Ive never had a person take it off, they just eat it all in one go icon_smile.gif but then i must admit, icing is very very sweet , but i think matched on a good cake its delishicous!!!!

i do agree its mostly kids who try to eat the gumpaste models and such, although the ones from my sons birthday cake, i kept, had them over a year now and they are still fabulous !

the only problems ive had with icing is that too much of it can be quite sickly if you eat to much (yet kids never have this problem?? lol ) ive only had two people who like it, but dont love it, so they will ask for a thin layer of it (Which is a PINA lol)

i think its so funny when i hear stories of people who cover an entire cake in fondant just so the person who is cutting it will peel it off and not serve it! i cant get my head round it to be honest but then again, different places , tastes, cultures etc.

Sugarchic Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:44am
post #12 of 23

I use a mixture of satin ice and choco pan it taste good.

sweetjan Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:50am
post #13 of 23

Wow, MelissaRay, who knew??? icon_surprised.gif
Can't wait to try it!
Thanks for sharing!

sweetjan Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:51am
post #14 of 23

Lovelymeets------welcome to CC!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, the Satin Ice is very much worth trying.

Send us the results of these experiments!

jdconcc Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 11:33am
post #15 of 23

Hi Caths Cakes

Maybe it's the make I use or maybe I'm just projecting my tastes onto other people, I can't stand the stuff. What make do you use?

Thanks
Claire

Caths_Cakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:00pm
post #16 of 23

I use Asdas ready to roll white icing! its about £2.50 for a 500g packet i think it is. I love it. Ive tried tescos own brand ready to roll icing and it tastes REALLY different, a very big suprise for me that lol, i didnt like that one at all. Iceland doesnt sell it, at least not where i live, and ive never tried morrisons for it either. but i do swear by asdas, ive never had a problem with cracking or airbubbles either when i use it.

Ive just discovered renshaws proffesional regalice which is a bit more expensive, im talking 4.59/4.99 for a 500g packet. i dont think it tastes any different to asdas, But you can feel the difference, i know that sounds weird but its nicer to work with icon_smile.gif it just . . Works lol!

i think its probablies gonna be an each to there own kind of deal, if you cant stand one, i dont think youl find many others that u do like, although i have never flavoured my icing and just kept it as is. I wonder if that might be a better option for you?

Sunbubbles Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 23

Wilton taste so horrible!! I personally much prefer MMF, but I would also like to try other recipes to see the difference. As far as store bought, its soo expensive! It seems like it would much more cost effective ( especially if you dont have a lot of start up money like me) to just make your own. Im determined to find a good recipe that'll save me cash! I think Ill try that cream cheese version this weekend. Can I find the Michelle Fosters version on the board?

ceshell Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:08am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbubbles

Can I find the Michelle Fosters version on the board?

Indeed you can. Just go to the recipes tab and type in Michele and it will come up. Be sure to only include one "L" in Michele. thumbs_up.gif

misterc Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:19am
post #19 of 23

I love Michelle's fondant but when buying fondant I prefer Fondx and pettinice over Satin Ice.

tinygoose Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:36am
post #20 of 23

I like Satin Ice. Wilton's is inedible. But even with Satin Ice, most people taste it and peel it away. It is just too chewy for american taste. I put a good layer of icing in the layers. A few friends like fondant but overall it's merely regarded as an edible decoration...IMHO

JenniferMI Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #21 of 23

Fondant doesn't have to taste bad.... I am a chocolate fondant gal ALL the way. It not only tastes great, you can roll is MUCH thinner, too. I put a normal layer of icing, THIN layer of fondant.

Jen icon_smile.gif

jdconcc Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:48am
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

I use Asdas ready to roll white icing! its about £2.50 for a 500g packet i think it is. I love it. Ive tried tescos own brand ready to roll icing and it tastes REALLY different, a very big suprise for me that lol, i didnt like that one at all. Iceland doesnt sell it, at least not where i live, and ive never tried morrisons for it either. but i do swear by asdas, ive never had a problem with cracking or airbubbles either when i use it.

Ive just discovered renshaws proffesional regalice which is a bit more expensive, im talking 4.59/4.99 for a 500g packet. i dont think it tastes any different to asdas, But you can feel the difference, i know that sounds weird but its nicer to work with icon_smile.gif it just . . Works lol!

i think its probablies gonna be an each to there own kind of deal, if you cant stand one, i dont think youl find many others that u do like, although i have never flavoured my icing and just kept it as is. I wonder if that might be a better option for you?

Thanks Caths Cakes, I'll bear that in mind the next time I get to Asda, I might try flavouring it too.

tx_cupcake Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:34pm
post #23 of 23

I've never bought any pre-made fondant other than Wilton (and I only use that for dummies), but I've made several variations of MMF that were okay, but I'm not a big marshmallow fan. Then I tried Michele Foster's fondant and I can't imagine using any other! It's so versatile and easy to make. I love it, and I've never received anything but compliments on its taste!

Right now I am obsessed with making raspberry vanilla fondant. I just add Amoretti (http://www.amoretti.com/) vanilla and raspberry compounds. It is fantastic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%