Jessmar

Decorating By morgansmommy Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 1:13am by morgansmommy

morgansmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgansmommy Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 8

Hey there! I was wondering if you or someone else could email instructions on how to do the valentines day couch and the cat figures. My daughter is 2 and loves cats. I would love to know how to make it for her. Thanks!! [email protected] icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 8

Hi,

Can you post a link to the photo of the cake??

Cindy

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 8
morgansmommy Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 8

Yes that is the cats I am referring to!!!!! icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 8

\\To mold the cats you will need either fondant or 50/50 gumpaste fondant mixture (this is my preferred medium). Fondant takes longer to dry which gives you more time to work with it but the 50/50 mixture I find is stronger and dries faster (but you don't have as much time to play with it).

You need to determine the size that you would like the cats to be. Colour your medium if needed. Then you will divide your chosen medium into balls in appropriate sizes for the following:

-torso (into an egg like shape)
-head (somewhat of an egg shape - if you want to attach the ears inside rather than glue on top at the end you will need to put in holes in appropriate places with the end of an object like a small paint brush before it dries)
-2x legs (sausage shape)
-2x arms (sausage shape)
-2x ears (shape appropriately
-1 for the area where the whiskers will be added (sorry can't think of the proper name right now icon_redface.gif) - flatten this ball into shape needed
-paws (if you choose to have different colour like the grey one) - shape to fit the end of legs/arms
-paw accents (unless you will be painting them on)
-other facial features/accent pieces if you want or you can paint these on with food colouring/food markers.

- have gum glue available to attach all you pieces together (made with water and either tylose or gumpaste)
-if you like you can put a piece of raw spaghetti or toothpick in the torso and attach the head onto that (I still put gum glue on).

Here is a link to aine2 (member of cc) video's on youtube. I highly recommend watching them if you have never made figures before. She has over 20 videos the last time I checked and they are very helpful. I think she has some animal videos on how to make a dog, sheep and chicks. She also has some videos on how to make monkey and bear faces and how to make the modeling past.

As for the couch you will need to do some carving to achieve that shape. I would start with either a loaf, square or rectangular pan and go from there.

I would also suggest that you PM the owner of the cake and see if they can provide some assistance.

HTH (I apologize for any mistakes, this is my 2nd time writing this out - the 1st time my 1 year old hit some key on my laptop and I lost the post and he's at it again so I don't want to lose it this time so sorry no proof reading icon_lol.gif).

morgansmommy Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:49am
post #6 of 8

OH THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THE TUTUORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE THE CATS!! I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!!! CRYSTAL icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:04am
post #7 of 8

Your welcome! Let me know if something isn't clear.

morgansmommy Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #8 of 8

THANKS!! WILL DO!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%