Migraines

Lounge By jer702 Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 2:50pm by KlyKat

jer702 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 56

I've had migraines pretty much my whole life but i'm curious to see how it affects or if it even affects when your baking. To me personally, heat can trigger a migraine...if i'm baking, cooking on the grill or just even sleeping with the heater on. Its not at the point where I need to quit baking cause I can't take the headaches but I'm just wondering if i'm the only one that feels this way. This might be a little silly but i'm just curious.

55 replies
michellenj Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 56

Cigarette smoke seems to trigger my migraines. Mine usually come when I am riding the hormone rollercoaster, too. Heat doesn't affect me.

jer702 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 56

maybe it because I live in the desert, I kinda tend to blame everything on the heat icon_lol.gif But i've always noticed it, every thanksgiving or xmas, if i'm up the night before baking, the next day I pay the price. Now, I don't even use the grill either cause I know its going to trigger it.

vww104 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #4 of 56

I think heat can trigger migraines, although I've never gotten one from baking I have gotten one from the heat outside in the summer. My 9 year old son also gets them when the weather is warm. Although I have noticed when I bake or cook I do usually crack the window in my kitchen which seems to help me. I also noticed that as I get older I get migraines from different scents, specifically flowery perfume scents. Some air fresheners or potpourri scents can give me an instant headache. Fortunately my migraines are not that severe, I get relief from Excedrin migraine.

cakesbycathy Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:54am
post #5 of 56

Excessive noise seems to trigger mine (and I have 3 kids, guess how often it's quiet in my house icon_rolleyes.gif )

As soon as I feel a headache coming on (even a little one) I make sure and take some Advil or Excedrin to try and stop it before it gets out of control. I'll also drink a pop or have some chocolate (something about the caffeine in both of those helps).

summernoelle Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 56

I do not know everything that trigger mine, but pressure changes (high altitudes, bad weather, etc) trigger mine.

There are some things you can look in to. First, make sure it is a migraine and not a regular tension headache. Migraines prevent you from functioning. It isn't that pain in your head that annoys you all day and makes you grumpy. It is severe enough to make you vomit. I promise that when I have mine I can not do anything except curl in my bed in a little ball. I can't even care for my kids-I have to have call for a sitter as soon as they start coming on.

If it is a true migraine, Advil or Excedrin will NOT take care of it. Nothing but strong prescription meds will, and even those don't really work.

Get an appointment with a neurologist, and if they are severe and often enough, then they can put you on Topamax to prevent them. I was on this for about 6 months. I was extremely ill and I started having 6 serious migraines (10-12 hours long, vomiting, blindness) per week. The Topamax stopped them and then I weaned off it. I since have not had one in 3 years.

Also dietary triggers are very common. Chocolate is a huge trigger! And do not ingest aspartame. There are other triggers foods too that you can find on the web.

I hope you feel better! ((((((hugs))))))))

indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #7 of 56

If you're noticing them around the holidays, then it sounds stress induced and not heat induced. Stress is a big migraine factor. Big.

As you check with doctors, you might also see a chiropractor. I suffered with migraines for years. Like once a week. I discovered, thru a chiropractor visit, that a car wreck I was in when I was 16 had screwed up my neck, vertebraes out of whack, nerves pinched. Once that was straightened out (no pun intended! icon_lol.gif ), my migraines went from once a week to once a year.....maybe!

But what summernoelle says is so true! I had a co-worker who complained of "migraines" all the time, and what she had was nothing even CLOSE to a migraine! Noises are magnified (I almost strangled my daughter for folding a brown grocery bag too slow and too loud!), lights and noise make you nauseous (sp?). The only thing I could do was lie in a dark QUIET room and try to sleep it off. I never got to the prescription level but yeah, if you can kill the headache with over the counter meds, then it's not a migraine.

I get the same reaction when people with the sniffles complain of having "the flu". I ask them, "Can you raise your head up off of the floor? Then you don't have 'the flu'!"

michellenj Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:29am
post #8 of 56

I can always tell that it is a migraine and not a regular tension headache because everything starts to look all sparkly. Not really sparkly, but different. If I can get to my meds in this time period I can catch it before it blows up to the puking/fetal position stage.

emrldsky Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:10am
post #9 of 56

TMJ (clenching and grinding your teeth) can also trigger migraines. I started to get them when I was 15, shortly after starting orthodontic work on my teeth. It wasn't until 2007 that I was told I had TMJ and that it could cause migraines (all those muscles are connected). I was up to 4/month and they were debilitating, as Summernoelle described.

My dentist (wonderful man) fitted me for a device called an NTI-TSS and I can say that the migraines I get now (maybe one every 2 or 3 months) are typically a result of a sinus or tension headache left untreated for too long. The device wasn't covered by insurance, but I would have spent more than I paid for it ($500) in prescription meds by now.

Heat can also cause them for me, but usually only if it's sun stroke or heat stroke. I don't think the oven has ever done it to me. *shrug*

koolaidstains Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:41pm
post #10 of 56

Regular meds can help stop a migraine if it's taken early enough. Early enough is the key though. If I take 800mg of ibuprofen at the very first tinglings of a migraine I can usually keep it from turning into a horrible migraine. I usually have to keep taking the ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for 3-4 doses.

If after I've taken ibuprofen or aleve and in about 45 minutes the headache is getting worse, then I break out the imitrex. I HATE the side effects from imitrex, so if I can head it off and keep it undeer control with ibuprofen or aleve, I'd much rather do that.

Either way, if you don't catch it early enough you're screwed! Then it's in bed, lights off, on my stomach and don't bother me! I haven't figured out everything that triggers mine, but mine seem to be mostly hormonal. I think it's time to get my hormones tested. Has anyone had that done? I get migraines mostly the week before and the week of my period. Oh, I've figured out I can no longer have tequila, that triggered me the last few times. I'm kinda bummed about that because I love margaritas LOL. I can still drink beer and other liquor. It's kinda weird. I steer clear of wine though!

HerBoudoir Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 56

Mine are stress related.

I used to have them ALL the time up until I was a teenager, and I'd be down and out for the count for 2 days when they happened. My mom eventually tried taking me to the chiropractor she was seeing for a back issue, and after six months of regular visits, the migraines were gone.

Since then, I get them occasionally due to stress. If I find they're happening more than once every couple months or so, I go back to the chiropractor for a couple of sessions, and that puts them back on the once a year MAYBE schedule. I also keep in mind that when I'm really stressed, I need to make sure that I get enough sleep, drink enough water, watch the diet (eat healthy foods - it helps with stress).

Sunflower08 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 56

I was lucky.. I used to suffer from severe migraines. I mean so bad I would get sick and couldn't even stand one bit of sound or light. But all changed after I had my daughter. Ive never had them anymore..

jer702 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 56

OMG you guys are awesome. I do get both migraines and tension headaches ( I stress sooooo much). I've been on Mirena for almost 3yrs now and I've noticed that in the last year its helped out so much with lowering migraines. It does hit me still just to remind me that its still there but not at all bad as its used to. I've baked the most in the last 6 months than I have in my whole life..usually i'm just a holiday baker and like Debi said..maybe i'm contributing it to the heat but its actually the stress of it all done that does it. I've lived with is for so long that after a while you just kinda learn what to do or not to do. I do have my Imitrex which I keep on hand if we're on vacation or if it gets really bad and nothing else will kick in. Usually I keep excedrin at work when the normal everyday headaches kick in. Oh, I should mention, last year I actually did Hypnosis and it was just awesome. I know it sounds really crazy but I was referred by my primary physician to help with everyday headaches. It was so amazing but thanks to our lovely health care system, I was dropped cause he no longer accepted my insurance.
Well thanks again for all the great answers, I truly, truly appreciate the responses. I have 2 girls and i'm hoping that every mirgraine/headache that I have is one less that they have to deal with..its pretty much how I keep my sanity about the situation. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

Sunflower08 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:32pm
post #14 of 56

Ok question for you.. You said your on Mirena, did you have these migraines before the Mirena??

summernoelle Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 56

Oh my-do you have Migraines with Aura? If so, you should not be on any type of hormones what so ever! Migraines with aura increases your stroke risk, but if you are on the pill or other hormone related birth control, it sky rockets! I had to go off the pill when I started having mine, even though I was pretty young at the time (only 27). Get a copper IUD if you need something reliable. But please think about that...

jer702 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm
post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower08

Ok question for you.. You said your on Mirena, did you have these migraines before the Mirena??

yes, I still get them now but now as frequent as I use to. I always had to be on specific birth control, I guess to help with hormones, prior to the mirena i was on a birth control (can't think of the name) that's used with new moms that are nursing. Migraines for me are the worst during my mentrual cycle, well the mirena make your cycle very light (at least for me) so worrying about "that week" isn't a problem for me anymore. It might sound a little weird, but in my mind it works.

jer702 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Oh my-do you have Migraines with Aura? If so, you should not be on any type of hormones what so ever! Migraines with aura increases your stroke risk, but if you are on the pill or other hormone related birth control, it sky rockets! I had to go off the pill when I started having mine, even though I was pretty young at the time (only 27). Get a copper IUD if you need something reliable. But please think about that...

well my doc was discussing my IUD options, she voted towards the mirena becuase she said that the copper IUD (i think this is the 10yr one, right) will give me a heavier cycle and thats what they were avoiding, and with the Mirena its verly little, which I LOVE btw.

I hope i'm explaining myself correctly.

summernoelle Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm
post #18 of 56

I had one, and it was actually great! I didn't have any side effects. But, everyone is different. icon_smile.gif I hope you continue to feel better. icon_smile.gif

Sunflower08 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #19 of 56

Just watch out with the Mirena.. I know everyone is different but things happen with that thing. I won't recommend it to anyone after my experience. I'm not going to get graphic but route I was going I could have ended up with a hysterectomy over that thing.

jer702 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:32pm
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I had one, and it was actually great! I didn't have any side effects. But, everyone is different. icon_smile.gif I hope you continue to feel better. icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much for all your help.

jer702 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:35pm
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower08

Just watch out with the Mirena.. I know everyone is different but things happen with that thing. I won't recommend it to anyone after my experience. I'm not going to get graphic but route I was going I could have ended up with a hysterectomy over that thing.

Wow, you know i've never treally thought about it, I'm go glad that things didn't have to come to that point. Thank you soooo much.

xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:52pm
post #22 of 56

I've had migraines since my teens. I mostly get them with pressure changes outside. I get them whenever we're going to get rain and the clouds are rolling in, Chinooks winds (when I was in Alberta) and in extreme heat/humidity. I sometimes have aura's as well before the onset of a migraine. I remember about a decade ago I started to see a chiropractor/acupunturist about these migraines. I at the time used to probably had approx 4 migraines a week (or it was one that lasted a long time lol). When I first started seeing her my migraines actually got worse but after about the 3rd or 4th visit I noticed a considerable difference. For the couple of years my migraines had gone down to one every month or two and were not that severe (at least compared to what I was used to). I've moved since then several times, have had 4 kids and I find my migraines are getting worse again. My neurologist doesn't want me taking anymore meds as he says in the long run they actually make it worse. He even said to stay away from over the counter as much as possible as well. To bad he doesn't have to live them though icon_rolleyes.gif . I'll probably try the chiropractor/acupunturist route again and see if that will help....

Oh, the other thing I wanted to mention is that if you try applying an icepack to your head when you have a migraine it might just help. It's worked for me several times as well.

navywifetrat Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #23 of 56

I too suffer from migraines with the vision problems. I did link mine to the birth control pills. Every time I wanted another baby, I would stop having the migraines. If my head was off the pillow, it was hanging over the toilet. One side of my body would go numb and this would last for about 4-6 hours after the injection. The next day, I would feel very out of it. After my 3rd DD, I had my tubes tied. I have started having migraines again, however, I hate to call them that because they are not anywhere compared to what they were. I can now just take Excedrin and they will go away after an hour or so. I still get the vision problems and the numbness but I can function if I have to - I try to lay down for at least an hour and they usually go away other than I still feel out of it the rest of the day and the next day.

I have had trouble with my cycle the last few years where they will last for 14 days. My doctor would not put me back on the pill because of the vision problems with the migraines but he did suggest the Mirena which I did have done in January. So far, no problem with migraines.

JaimeAnn Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:47am
post #24 of 56

I've had migraines for about 6 years. Mine like IndyDebis started after a car accident, Severe whiplash and a fractured jaw led to TMJ and Migraines. I also started seeing a chiropractor and he got most of it straightened out but I still have problems with TMJ and occasional migraines.

I totally get the wanting to strangle your daughter for folding the paper bag thing. I just about threw my daughter off the couch for chewing to loudly. (she was 20 at the time so no child abuse involved)..hahhaah

A dark noiseless room and my Natures creation herb pillow over my eyes coupled with Fioricet usually gets rid of it.

Still not sure if its the TMJ or my Husband causing the migraines though.... Hhahahah

michellenj Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #25 of 56

I asked my Dr. about mine yesterday, and she thinks that my migraines may be the result of undiagnosed allergies.

KlyKat Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 9:20pm
post #26 of 56

We should form our own group...Migrainers Unite or something like that icon_razz.gif

I've suffered with M's for 17 years, I'm 41. I think I've takien just about every preventive med there is along with daily Topomax and depokote at one point.

I get blurry vision, my eyes get this glazed look (so people tell me) the right side on my face goes numb & nausea. My M has always been in the same exact place the whole 17 years. I have found that pressure changes like weather will bring one on for me along with any kind of smoke, exhaust fumes and certain sweet smells.

If I take an Imitrex injection at the moment I feel one coming on it's gone in 20 mins thumbs_up.gif If not, I'm screwed. I have to take 2-100mg Imitrex pills and go to my dark place icon_lol.gif

I've just recently learned about taking Magnesium, but don't have all the details yet as to how much to take daily and when. As soon as I find out I'll let ya'll know. I've tried so much stuff, I'm pretty much open for anything.

Oh, I get one every 10-12 days like sun rises and sets icon_evil.gif

summernoelle Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:35am
post #27 of 56

Well, I have not had a migraine is almost 3 years and guess what-2 this week Wed and Fri). I am totally freaking out about them, because they are awful! Both coincided with rain storms and pressure changes. Think I have found the culprit. But what the heck can you do about that?

KlyKat-yours sound just like mine. My abortive med was Maxalt. Did a whole lot of nothing. My preventative was Topamax and I am praying I don't have to go back on it. It works wonders, but the side effects are tough. I have heard good things about Mg therapies! I also have heard great things about the Acai berry...
I also have some good literature by Dr. Blaylock who does holistic therapies, if anyone would like me to email them to them.

Sorry, guys, it's just been a rough day from me. I have been in bed since 1 with a headache because I don't currently have any medications at home for it and the neuro wouldn't refill them until I come back in. My family is out having fun without me because I couldn't go. I am so scared of being sick again. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif This sucks.

jer702 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #28 of 56

summernoelle --I'm so sorry to hear that your not feeling well and I hope that your feeling much better by now. I still don't know the magic in curing a migraine, all I can say it try an ice pack on the back of your neck, lying in a dark, cold room. The only thing I always try to do is have some lemon or lime in my glass of water and drink it..my mom says that it helps by thinning you blood (??). I've also been on Topamax and it was awesome for me also at first but the side effects were too strong for me to handle. Well hope you feel better soon (((hugs)))

jer702 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlyKat

I've just recently learned about taking Magnesium, but don't have all the details yet as to how much to take daily and when. As soon as I find out I'll let ya'll know. I've tried so much stuff, I'm pretty much open for anything.

Thanks, i'll start reading up on this.

jer702 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #30 of 56

KlyKat--Where do we sign up for that group thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%