Said I Would Never #&_@%!, But I Did...

Decorating By sweetlayers Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm by indydebi

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:41pm
post #61 of 79

Sweetlayers..... Wilton??? OMG, that is the worst stuff out there. The only thing it's good for is covering dummies.

In my opinion, chocolate fondant is the way to go. I make a wonderful semi-homemade that tastes great. Semi-homemade is easier than all homemade icon_smile.gif

I'm here to help if you need me.

Jen

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:57pm
post #62 of 79

Sweetcravings,

Did the same thing with the bug!!!!!! LOL. Feeling really stupid right now!!!!!

Lu

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:00pm
post #63 of 79

sweetlayers, you're hysterical!!!

and lots of newbies posting lately....yay!!!

I said I wouldn't get obsessive-compulsive about checking in on CakeCentral........... icon_lol.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:49pm
post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I said I'd never use a box mix. I still bake from scratch but there are a few cakes that I'll do from a mix with doctoring.
I also said that I'd probably never do fondant. Now I love to work with it (sometimes).
I make Michelle Fosters fondant recipe or I buy Albert Uster fondant. Love the stuff, they both taste wonderful.

i've tried michelle's fondant but not AU. can you tell me the difference between the two as far as how they handle? do you prefer one over the other?

Linda5606 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda5606 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:11pm
post #65 of 79

i said i'd never do wedding cakes. i just finished my daughters wedding cake ( and no it wasn't a first wedding cake either icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:30pm
post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wily_kitt

Hee hee all the ant issues I've caused!

Wily_kitt, you got me too....your avatar made me jump out of my chair, yikess!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
I'm a clean freak and no dust or bugs in my house so, you can imagine how my heart sank to see a bug on my screen LOL, icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
then it down on me...phewww, it's only your avatar he,he icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Bunnies_Cakes

Wilton Fondant!!!

I think I just puked in my mouth a little bit icon_sad.gif

LOL, this is a funny thread! But I have to agree. . . YUCK! MMF is so easy and cheap to make, it's fresh, has no preservatives, I can freeze it in bulk and thaw and color as I need it! It's so easy AND it has a fail-safe good taste!

I said "I would never freeze a cake"!!! But, I'm still so new, I'm not sure what the future holds! LOL! I can see myself getting over-booked and having to freeze just to keep up! We'll see. . . icon_cool.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #68 of 79

Wow, you guys that buy Wilton to put on a cake. Nevermind the taste, but holy cow, that is some of the MOST expensive fondant there is! And you can't eat it! I don't understand why you guys throw money away on something you can't serve to a dying horse!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #69 of 79

Are we only talking about baking stuff we swore we'd never do? If not, I have a very long list.

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Are we only talking about baking stuff we swore we'd never do? If not, I have a very long list.

You got me curious. We may have to move this topic to the "lounge"!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #71 of 79

Hahahaha...I would have nothing to add to another....oh. ok. Yeah, I need a really big notebook. Got time?? icon_biggrin.gif

juleeab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleeab Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #72 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrimore

If I have a wedding cake to do I buy my icing at Sam's Club. And I don't feel bad about it either.

AMEN!

cococakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cococakes Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #73 of 79

I've used the Wilton Fondant and it's not bad, very very sweet but not bad. I've made fondant not bad but in a pinch I'll just go buy Wilton and with the coupon it's not that expensive.

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:45pm
post #74 of 79

I said I would never gain so much weight...but I did!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:01pm
post #75 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcakeplate

LOOOOOL!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

This is the *worst* hobby to have when you're watching your waistline. When I'm caking I end up sneaking a glob of fondant here, a spoonful of frosting there...it just never ends.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcakeplate

LOL icon_biggrin.gif I heard ya!!!

No wonder my mother always told me to never say ' n e v e r' lol icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:29am
post #77 of 79

I said I'd never become "one of those obsessive, crazy cake ladies". Yet here I am....

AmandaGudi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaGudi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:25pm
post #78 of 79

So for all the talk about freezing cakes I have a question, when you freeze the cakes in advance-what temp do you start to decorate them. Do you start when they are still frozen? Semi-frozen? Cold? or wait until they are room temp? I work full time and go to school full time so I have VERY limited time here and there to work on my cakes so it would be nice to be able to make a cake on one day, freeze it, and do the decorating another day!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #79 of 79

I take cakes out of the freezer, let them sit on the counter for 15-30 minutes, then start crumb coating. I prefer to let them sit overnight after crumbcoating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%