....make A Fondant Bow Keep Its Shape??

Decorating By _ROYALTY_ Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 12:43am by didi5

_ROYALTY_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ROYALTY_ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 14

I have tried to make fondant bows a couple of times and it seems that even if I let the loops sit for a day to dry, as soon as i pick them up to assemble they start getting soft again and droop. I try not to handle them too much because I know that the heat from my hands will do this, but is there something I can mix with the fondant to make it harden? I have heard of people using Tylose, but what about Gum-tex? does this do the same thing? How much do I use?
thanks again for any help!!

13 replies
rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 14

Yes, gum-tex does the same thing. Also put paper towels in the holes to prop them up. Then let them dry. But gum tex will not work in marshmallow fondant (MMF). It works well to harden wilton fondant. If you're using mmf then blend it with a 50/50 mixture of gumpaste/fondant. It will dry on its own.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 14

What she ^^^ saidicon_smile.gif
How much - depends on the size of your fondant lumpicon_smile.gif Actually I don't measure w/GumTex. I just dip my piece of fondant into the GumTex and knead it in. If it doesn't seem to get 'tight' I dip it again and again until it feels right. Sorry I can't be more helpful but it doesn't take much.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 14

When I teach the loopy bow in Lesson 1 of the Fondant & Gumpaste course, we make the loops and lay them on one side to set up for about 20 minutes, then flip them and lay them on their other side.

We use a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste blend. I am not a fan of Gum-Tex.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #5 of 14

Believe it or not, Wilton Fondant is good for something.....I use it to make my bows and figures because it is easy to work with and it dries hard as a ROCK!!!! Give it a try, I don't add anything and it dries solid every time.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:35am
post #6 of 14

I'm no fan of Wilton fondant either, but you are absolutely right - it is great for making figures, flowers, bows. Not only does it dry rock hard, but it also dries fast.

The drawback is that there isn't a lot of stretch to it, and it has to be cut pretty thick to prevent cracking and breaking, as compared to gumpaste, which has gum trag or tylose in it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakesthatrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesthatrock Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:49am
post #7 of 14

What type of fondant are you using, what is it made of? I have never had a problem with making bows using wiltons fondant and adding some gum-tex, about 1 teaspoon. I have also made bows and ribbons using just gum paste. The weather play a big role in how your fondant ( icing) works also.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:49am
post #8 of 14

I made a bow and stuffed the loops with pillow fiber fill from the craft section. It worked beautifully and gave me a soft curve like a fabric ribbon. But UHHHG it was more then a PITA to get it all out! I must have spent 45 minutes with extra long tweezers and a flash light to pull all the loose fibers out. Some wanted to stick and I had to use moiten the inside a touch by paint brush to pull them out. But the bow was just what I had hope for.
LL

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:52am
post #9 of 14

That cake is beautiful!

Oh, and the next time you want to use fiberfill, stick it in a cheap plastic bag first. You know, the store brand sandwich bags which have twist ties instead of a zipper on them?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:28am
post #10 of 14

I agree that gumtex is not the best option but it WILL work if it is the only thing you find available for use. I used it to make a "gift box" (present) cake box lid and it hardened up fine after several days.

That said I would still go for the 50/50 fondant gp blend, and if you know nobody will try to eat the bow, I agree to use Wilton for it as it's much firmer than homemade fondant.

_ROYALTY_ Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:37pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I made a bow and stuffed the loops with pillow fiber fill from the craft section. It worked beautifully and gave me a soft curve like a fabric ribbon. But UHHHG it was more then a PITA to get it all out! I must have spent 45 minutes with extra long tweezers and a flash light to pull all the loose fibers out. Some wanted to stick and I had to use moiten the inside a touch by paint brush to pull them out. But the bow was just what I had hope for.

wow, that is gorgeous!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 14

Playingwithsugar - Thanks thats a fabulous little tip! Those cheep baggies are so soft and usualy don't have hard seams. Super. icon_biggrin.gif
Royalty -Thanks that was my first bow and pro-looking-wanna-be cake and let me tell you... your cakes are Amazing and so clean and crisp! That's what I really worked on in doing my last cake clean and crisp. thumbs_up.gif This site is wonderful and soo much to learn be such loving and generous people! icon_cool.gif

Oh joy Yet another keep on hand ingreedient for the pantry. I tell you that list just keeps getting bigger and bigger! But that just means the cake prices can get bigger too right?! icon_wink.gif

_ROYALTY_ Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Oh joy Yet another keep on hand ingreedient for the pantry. I tell you that list just keeps getting bigger and bigger! But that just means the cake prices can get bigger too right?! icon_wink.gif

Yep, I just had a client cancel a cake today because she didnt want to spend the money on it. I gave her a VERY good deal though, I was charging her only $120 for a Three tier THREE flavored cake with bows, roses and hand rolled fondant pearls!! can you believe that??!!
I was floored, she wanted the cake for $50! HA!! icon_eek.gif

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ROYALTY_

Yep, I just had a client cancel a cake today because she didnt want to spend the money on it. I gave her a VERY good deal though, I was charging her only $120 for a Three tier THREE flavored cake with bows, roses and hand rolled fondant pearls!! can you believe that??!!
I was floored, she wanted the cake for $50! HA!! icon_eek.gif

That's the deal of the century, Royalty. She's not the type of client that you want to have anyway. I know sometimes we make cakes because we just want to try a certain technique or design to add to our portfolio. For me, this is my hobby and I'm glad that someone actually pays for it. I just charge to cover the cost. And DH always gives me a hard time about that. But I always say it's a hobby that pays for itself and a bit more. My latest cake in my gallery I quoted my friend $140 but I was given free reign on the design. I was totally inspired with the theme the cake was for which was "Sex and the City" the popular TV series. The only request she had was that it had to be square with a cosmopolitan glass, the rest was up to me. They were thrilled when they saw the cake not really expecting anything and I was happy to try a new technique. And they really had appreciated that I went beyond their expectations. For me it's a win-win situation.

Back to the topic, I use a paper towel in between the bow to make it "puffy". I leave it at least at hour but overnight is best. I usually have no issues with taking the paper towel out.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%