Rainbow-Colored Cake Batter?

Decorating By cinderspritzer Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm by cinderspritzer

cinderspritzer Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make a cake that's rainbow- colored on the inside when you cut it. I realize the whole part of making it with white cake and coloring the individual parts before you put it in the pan, but I have a couple more questions that complicate things a little.

I don't want to do the diet-soda Weight Watchers cake mix recipe thing like is shown here http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2009/03/05/how-to-make-a-rainbow-cake/

So I guess my real question is, can I make a variation of WASC to look similar? Has anyone ever tried it?

I'm asking because the last time I made a cake that had different colors in it, the 2 colors baked ok, but they didn't stick together. Or blend or whatever. Like I had chunks of white and chunks of purple that were cooked together- but- separate, and I want to know how to prevent that.

This probably doesn't make any sense at all... icon_sad.gif

6 replies
prterrell Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 7

I've made multi-colored cakes using a doctored white box mix (not exactly WASC, but fairly close) before and never had any problems with the colors separating. Make sure you don't have any airbubbles in the cake batter, that was probably causing the separation problem.

cinderspritzer Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 7

I banged the pan as usual when I made that cake. I dunno WTH happened to it, and I'm hoping it was just a weird fluke.

imakecakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 7

I have a rainbow batter cake on page 2 of my photos and a tye dye batter on page 1. You can read the comments for both, I tell you how to do it. It's tedious, but not hard. PM me if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!

imakecakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 7

I have a rainbow batter cake on page 2 of my photos and a tye dye batter on page 1. You can read the comments for both, I tell you how to do it. It's tedious, but not hard. PM me if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!

I use WASC all the time for these!

bbmom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, I just used WASC for my daughters cake...here's a picture of the inside
LL

cinderspritzer Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 7

okeydokey. thanks for the help, everyone icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%