Delivery Charges And Rush Fees???

Business By Niliquely Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm by KoryAK

Niliquely Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 11

So I finally got my license (WOOHOO) and had two cakes this week. Already I feel bamboozled by things I hadn't even thought of! I had to deliver one of the cakes the day after it was ordered. Two questions: 1 - I charged $6.00 for delivery because the delivery was 30 miles from my house. DH says I undercharged for that. Is he right? I live in a rural area so I will probably be delivering a lot of my cakes. He says they need incentive to come pick them up...but I feel bad charging more than that!
2 - DH also thinks I should've charged her extra because I only had about 16 hours notice. Is he right and if so, do I do that by percentage or what?
Please help! I am feeling a little helpless and wondering what I got myself into....

10 replies
candynumber1 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 11

Omg! Yes! you should've charged extra for a last minute order and then said "being such short notice you'll have to pick it up!" I Think your DH is right on point, you're using your gas and your time. It WOULD be an incentive and you should not feel bad about it at all. You'll be surprised how many people agree to come get their cake. I'm on the phone all the time giving directions to my house, it's not easy to get to at all.

Niliquely Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 11

So how much do I charge for being a rush order? Do I do a percentage mark-up? Should I charge delivery by the mile? If so, how much?

sugarcheryl Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 11

I charge $2.00 per mile. Like indydebi has shared with us in that delivery you must think about gas, the wear and tear on your vehicle and your time. It they do not want to pay they can come and pick up there cake free of charge. Now the rush order you may want to included and additional $20 but for me since I am building my client base I haven't it depends on who it is.

OhMyGanache Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 11

I charge a $5 or 10% rush charge for any order with less than 48 hours notice.

I charge $50/hr. for delivery (as calculated round trip by Mapquest). If you are doing deliveries, you will need to upgrade your auto insurance to reflect that. Otherwise, if you get in an accident while doing a delivery, you will not be covered at all if they find out (and they usually do). Orders over $250 include delivery within a 25 mile radius though, and are $50/hr. beyond that.

Niliquely Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 11

Okay this is seriously helping...thank you SO much! I guess DH was right and I hadn't thought about insurance! Most of my orders will probably be within 30 miles so I probably need to price delivery by the mile...
Now - my next question may be a dumb one - do you charge round trip? So last night's delivery was 30 miles from my house, but 60 miles round trip. Do you figure that or not?

OhMyGanache Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 11

Yes, I calculate the round trip - unless I'm moving in with them, I have to come back home. icon_wink.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 11

My delivery fees: Anything under 10 miles - Free
10 - 30 miles (one way): $15 delivery
30 - 50 miles (one way): $25 delivery

Anything over 50 would have to be figured. Most everyone I know is within probably 30 miles but I'm sure at some point a delivery that's more than 50 miles away will come up so I'll address it with the customer at that time.

OhMyGanache Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 11

Meant to add that my rush charge is calculated to be whichever amount is greater. If it's a $500 cake, I add a 10% ($50) rush charge.

Niliquely Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, I calculate the round trip - unless I'm moving in with them, I have to come back home.

LOL - Ganache

Thanks everyone! I told DH you all said he was right....I'm not sure his ego needed that boost.... HA!
I'm sure I will have lots more questions about all this along the way!

KoryAK Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 11

Depends on how you much you are charging... some ppl like to say $1/mi RT and some $2/mi one way.... same deal. I'm $2.50/mi one way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%